Tuesday, June 18, 2013

We can discuss it....(over brisket at The Biscuit - come on, you're buying...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/18/13

...later, but it is my opinion that Rock 'n Roll is the bastard child of the BLUES. 

That said, what happens when the summabitch grows up? You get a band like Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. Last night at the Funky Biscuit I was enlightened by listening to this hip, sharp and tight group of Musicians. That's right, capitol M.
Johnny Sketch(guitar/electric cello/vocals) is out front. Alongside is Busta Gnutt on bass. Dirty Johnny plays drums. John Rico, trumpet and Johnny Come Lately on tenor. You are wondering about the names. Nicknames, of course. In the same order as above----Marc Paradis-Dave Pomerlau-Andre Bohren-Omar Ramirez-Brad Walker. Hey, what would you expect from a band out of New Orleans who claim to be the only western style BarMitzvah band on the circuit. Every arrangement of every song they did was original and interesting. From New Orleans shuffles, to straight ahead BLUES to a tune called "Cora Lee". It should be "Hora Lee" 'cause the music is right out of Kammen Book #9(the bible of klezmer). They did "Hey Mama" and knocked my socks off. They did "Huffin' and Puffin' Like a Choo-choo Train" and had me tappin' and holdin' my sides. 100% pure unadulterated entertainment. This was the last performance of their 'road trip' and they were determined to make an impression. They did. All through the rest of the evening you could hear people talking about "The Dirty Notes". 

Kilmo was there enjoying the music and wondering where I came up with the word "inelegant" when describing his Native Florida Tap Room. I answered by saying that I said nice things about his sound system and anyway inelegant is a lot better than "dump". Kilmo's joint is not a dump. It is inelegant. 

Clay Goldstein tapped me on the shoulder and then introduced me to his drop-dead beautiful wife, Cindy. A nice love story that happened in Missouri. "Missouri?. You don't look like Missouri to me." It turns out she was living there when a friend kept insisting that on Monday nights they should go out and listen to some BLUES. In spite of loving BLUES, Cindy would always decline. Finally one night she agreed and went with her friend to another friends BLUES joint. Clay was on the road with a band, "Don Shipps Titanic BLUES Band". Where else would a girl in Missouri meet a nice Jewish boy, especially one who played harp and the BLUES music she loved. Not a lawyer, doctor or dentist. Just a warm, personable, lovable teddy-bear of a man who played BLUES harp. What more can I say about love.

The Biscuit All-Stars, Drew Preston(guitar), J.L. Fulks(guitar) and Jamie King Colton(keys/B3) took the stage. Sorry I didn't get the bassists names. They opened with "Very Superstitious " and went from there to "Dealing With The Devil". Things were really warming up when Jamie did "The Thrill Is Gone" Wow!!!

Steve(pocket trumpet) joined the group and had us all listening to the stuff that was emitting from that tiny horn. It was drawing close to 1AM. My weary bones insisted I take them home. The Real Tracy Fields awaited me. Jesse Jones Jr., Dr. Lonnie Smith and Danny Burger on a record that lasted for 15 minutes of pure joy. Then Ms. Alice Day doing an impassioned "Send Me someone To Love" followed by pan player Othello Molineaux. I did not get a speeding ticket because I think all the patrols are listening to Ms. Fields just like I was.


Short note; Clay told me that the Titanic band is now "Norman Jackson and the Pawnshop" they will be in S. Florida sometime in Oct.
       
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment