Thursday, June 20, 2013

"The shrimp is really Be-bop Jr."...and NOT shrimp on the barbie at the Fish House, says Allen Kanovsky


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/20/13

The David Leon 4tet, Derek Fairholm(keys), Gary Thomas(bass), Rodolfo Zuniga(drums) and David on alto has just finished the first set playing a bright "Sunny Side of the Street". I am at The Fish House in Kendall and Wednesday is JAZZ night at this restaurant. The band appears there weekly and David hosts the Jam that follows the first set. From somewhere up front I hear an alto playing some be-bop riffs. I don't see anyone with a horn. Young people are gathering on stage to start the Jam Session. A young lady (Franchesca Romero) who attends New World sits down at the keyboard. Daniel Sagastic is blowing baritone sax, Christopher L'arrije at the drums, Diego Melgar, Felix Varga H.S,(guitar), Jose Albizu, New World,(bass) and Ian Munez on alto. They open with "Night in Tunisia" I am impressed with Ian's tone and technique. He plays a nice solo with solid be-bop style. They follow with "Billies Bounce"--my favorite from the bop era--. The couple at an adjacent table are Ian's parents, Sasha and Carlos. When I ask about Ian, his mothers says lovingly. "You mean the 'shrimp'?". Others call him the "little grunt". He is 10 going on 11. He is kind of a cute kid and is graduating Palmetto elementary. I don't care what others call him, from now on Ian is officially "Be-bop Jr." Remember his name---you will hear about him in the future.

There are a lot of young players joining the jam. Close your eyes and realize that these 'kids' are not kids at all but a group of talented young musicians who will carry JAZZ in to the future. Here are the names of some of them.(If you were there and I don't mention you I am sorry). Steven Gorelnick(piano), Ricardo Guerra(drums), Carlos Albaci(bass), Kyle Benford(drums) and a young corporate exec, Christophe Moray(trumpet) all took solos along with two young lady vocalists, both students at Miami Arts Charter School. Ashley Pezzotti sang "All Of Me" and Melinda Rodriguez sang a beautiful and soulful ballad. A young man Thomas Dover plays trombone and drums. When he got up to do his trombone solo his stance was all "JAZZ musician" His mannerism spelled  hip, hep, cool and gone. His playing was the same, then they started to play "Have You Met Miss Jones" . Thomas does a tasty solo and picks up the 'mic' and starts to sing. What is it about horn players and singing? Thomas, I loved how you play trombone, the only thing I can say about your vocalizing is, it is like all horn players vocals, consistent. Consistently flat! You can sell a song but your 'bone ear is a lot better. Please don't take my comment the wrong way. I have told the same thing to "stars" of the JAZZ world. Their response is universal. They all say---"What do you know, anyway?". They are not entirely wrong. As I have said before I can't tell a musical key from a car key but I can tell 'flat'.  Miguel Romero was impressive on guitar. All around it was a great night for listening and the future of JAZZ.  I must make mention of Franchesca Romero. She steps into the shoes of Tony Madruga who precede her at New world. She does a lot more than fill those shoes. She is a shy young lady who plays the keys right off the piano. Franchesca listens to every note the players play and gives the necessary support. Her solos are intensely creative and show the tutelage of Jim(the genius) Gasior.

Angela showed up for the last 8 bars of music. Her daughter had 'stood in' all night and did a great management job. It's in the genes, I guess. 

Are you ready for the BLUES? Little Mike and The Tornadoes--Saturday night at Arts Garage---I was told it was selling out fast ---I already have my res.

p.s. I twice have driven all the way to Gainesville to listen to this band. It was worth the ride.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment