Friday, June 14, 2013

Knowing what you know...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/14/13

...and what you don't. I know how to add, subtract and multiply. I know not to ask a woman her age(or make any reference to it). I know how to read and speak English. I don't know beans about theater outside of what I subjectively like or dislike. The following is about a piece of theater I experienced last night. At this point if you choose to stop reading stuff about a subject I know little of-----my feelings will not be hurt.

The piece is titled "The Longing and the Short Of It". The music and lyrics were composed by award winner Daniel Mate`. The format is known as 'song cycle'. Louis Tyrrell, Artistic Director at Arts Garage, explained that term means the songs will tell a story with a beginning, middle and an end. Last nights performance was called a 'play reading concert'. The actors, scripts in hand, run through the songs. Let it be noted that last nights group had been together only since Tuesday but the performance was solid and strong. 6 actors, 3 female, 3 male. Amy Miller Brennan, Jeni Hacker, Laura Turnbull, Nick Duccart, Henry Gainza and Avi Hoffman. Some solo, some duets and trios. The story is about personalities and relationships. Specifically, poorly ending relationships and misshapen personalities. The lyrics were insightful, giving each character depth and life. It seemed to me that either I or someone I knew had been through these cycles of life. The songs brought on a sort of sadness. During the performance I noticed that one word--love--had not been in any of the lyrics that had been sung. Surprising, considering the story is about relationship. The question I had was, is it a relationship at all if there is no love? The first mention of it came in the 16th song of a 20 song book.  The song, "Finally Me" was done by Amy, Jeni and Laura. I thought, "At Long Last Love". The music itself played by Daniel on piano and guitar covered all the genres of American music. Ballads, JAZZ and BLUES. A song, Misery Loves My Company, done by Jeni is a BLUES tune reminiscent of St. James Infirmary and Jenis' rendition is worth the price of admission at any time. They will continue rehearsal and do it again next Thursday. Check the sked.  
      
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment