Saturday, June 29, 2013

If you miss a...(Allen Kanovsky miss ANYTHING? He must be kidding!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/26/13
...night out on the town you are subject to a heavy fine, incarceration for a lengthy period, having to miss a meal or worse than all of that is being forced to watch TV. Watching the tube, holding tight to the remote and running up and down channels is what I imagine happens to you if you are fated to miss the Pearly Gates and descend into the nether world. To make up for my sin of omission, Friday I did a double tour of pleasurable duty. First to the monthly concert at MOCA and then on to BJB's.

My good buddy Dr. Jules Oaklander was a founder of the JAZZ program at the museum. He was there last night with another of his friends, Ms. Yvonne Wright. Both of them love JAZZ and this was a night meant for it. The featured artist was Manuel Valera(keyboard/composer). Manuel had Armando Gala on bass, Pututi Arce on drums and local favorite Felipe Lamoglia playing alto. The band played selections from their latest CD, "Cuban Express". A strongly influenced modern JAZZ program. The last number finally revealed the "alma" of clave. Although the program was short(a little more than an hour) it gave every one in the band a chance to display their talent. I have been a fan of Felipe's for a while. Usually he plays tenor, this time the charts called for alto, he did not falter and played imaginative, creative solos.  He will be at Arts Garage, with his own band, this coming Saturday. Although Manuel was the leader of the band he is an equal opportunity employer. Pututi and Armando had ample time in each number to "show off" and they did. A young man, Chris was seated next to me and was a knowledgeable JAZZophile. It heartens me to see the coming generations enjoying the music I love so. Charlie K. (WDNA 88.9 FM) introduced the band and was also kind enough to supply me with the band members names. WDNA is a media partner of MOCA in producing the monthly event.


The night has only begun when I arrive at 'toidy toid' street. Ike and Val Woods are at BJB's with an R&R show which really rocks. The joint is jammed. I push a couple guys and gently shove some gals out of my way and find a seat at a hi-hat that is occupied by Bill "What the" Heck, his bride Gloria and my buddy Ron (anonymous). One of the guys I pushed was Mike Murk(just returned from N.Y./Toronto). Mike is a head and half taller, probably 40 years younger, a lot better looking and built nice. We compete for the attention of many of the ladies that 'hang out' at this watering hole. Don't bet on who wins. Babette keeps a close eye on us, all the while. The band has Gary Berman on drums, Willie Seay on bass and my long time buddy Ricky Williams on keys. They rock, they roll, they swing and they have everyone that fits on the dance floor up and shaking it. Val does the vocals and also writes children's books. Gregory Atria is celebrating his 64th birthday. Joining him are several women(much younger than he is). Ms. Susan Hart graciously accepts my invitation and we swing one. A tall blonde, in a tight fitting, pure white dress passes by. Ron(anonymous) using one of my lines, says "Pardon me Miss" The tall blonde hesitates and Ron follows with "You are absolutely beautiful". She flutters her eyelashes, smiles, says "Thank you" and runs for her life. The night is fleeting by. Third set, last couple of songs and a group of 6 or 7 young couples come in. Guys and gals, all good looking and dancers. Dancing like I did way back in the day. The steps are bright and fresh. One couple, Agniesika Maslanka and Sheven Kekoolani, are a particularly well suited dance couple. He is a strong, creative swing dancer. Agniesika follows each lead flawlessly.---if I were only a hundred years younger----Tonight up in the air--- 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment