Monday, June 17, 2013

There was a little girl...(that isn't dancing yet, but Allen Kanovsky will wait...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/17/13

....and she was standing watching her Grandpa play the drums. Blonde, blue eyes, nice smile and cute as a button. The band had just come off their break during which her grandfather, Danny Burger had shown her how to use the sticks. Little Cora Schueler was delighted by the lesson. When the band started up she stood alongside and watched Danny do his thing. The place, Blue Jeans Blues. The activity Anthony Corrado's Sunday Jam with Paul Banman playing piano. Fathers Day 2013.
Danny's wife, Mary, was there with the 'kinder'. The aforementioned  Cora, her father Steve, Danny Jr. and Allison.   

My pal Dr. Jules and I had decided to assuage the absence of our children(his all on the west Coast--mine all up North) by spending some time together. We started with a 3 1/2 hour brunch at the Marriott in Hollywood. It was chosen because when sitting along the boardwalk you can take advantage of the sights. Specifically bikini clad as---lasses. There was a guitar player doing reggae tunes using tracks. Pleasant, but I find it difficult to review 'canned' or formula music. 

After being sated by a tremendous variety of foods, drenched with an assortment of brunch type beverages and almost blinded by the "visions" we headed up to BJB's.

Anthony can play somewhere around 1,000 instruments. Many of which he brings to the stage. He and the band will go from almost corny to Coletrane. All with ease and honest to the genre. Among the jammers were Djon Fields, a Sammy Davis Jr. look-alike who does funk and soul. Michelle did a rousing "At Last" and Cora sang from the American songbook. Djon returned to help close the 2d set. A little weary from our ventures, Doc and I decided to call it a day. We said "So long" to Bill, kissed Giselle and Babette goodnight and headed home. 

We discussed diet(Doc is a vegan. I am a carnivore), women, Global warming, women we've known, rising oceans, women we would have liked to known and finally the nights game between the Heat and the Spurs. Of course being who we are, we took opposite sides. We made a substantial wager. I am glad to report that the good Doctor now owes me a dollar.

I'll try to make up for my early leaving by staying late at the Funky Biscuit tonight.
       
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment