Sunday, June 30, 2013

Plan ahead...(well does flipping a coin on the way out the door count, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/30/13
That was the slogan for IBM way back in the day. The small d at the end fell off from the rest in order to send a message. The thought has stuck with me. I plan ahead but not too far. Generally in increments about 1/2 hour into the future. The constant reminder is that my future plans may not coincide with His. 

The plan: The Funky Biscuit at 5--The Bamboo Room at 9--The phone rings awakening me from a dream of some far-away place. It's Jimmy Belize calling me to inquire about my plan for the night. I glance at the clock. It reads 4:28. So much for the Biscuit at 5. The car needs gas, I need a shower and it's about 30 miles to my first destination. "The best laid plans of mice and men-------". I get to the Funky Biscuit. Fortunately, BLUES and JAZZ musicians do not make a habit of starting on the stroke of the clock. Roosevelt Collier is just getting up on stage. With him are bassist Matt Lapham and drummer Kenneth Earl WalkerII(known as The Big Easy). Roosevelt(aka the Dr.) sits down at the ten string pedal steel guitar and my day begins with the music. Dave(cat in the hat) shows up to join me. Michelle McLaren and her friend Debbie Corson are at the bar, tappin' and clappin'. They are not going to the Bamboo Room later on. They are headed to Maguire's Hill 16 and Dave Shelley.

Roosevelt and the band are grooving. They invite Johnny Walker up to sing along with Mauricio "Mo" Garcia to play the B3. They go from BLUES to Funk, "Stormy Monday" to "Ever Since You Put Me Down". Now, Daryl Wolff(B3) joins in. Adam Firtel is shooting video(look for on YouTube) and I am having a real good time, listening to the band, chompin' on a fish taco and quaffing a Yuengling. After the set I take a moment of Johnny Walker's time to ask the usual question about BLUES lyric line. Johnny says his favorite is "Lord have mercy" from "Stormy Monday" but running a close second is from a Gospel BLUES. It says "Don't let the devil ride. If you let him ride, he will want to drive". Never truer words-------

On to Lake Worth and the Bamboo Room. My first time. My good fortune continues as I get a parking spot 2 doors down from the club. I pay my admission, get a wrist band applied and proceed up the 100 steep steps to the Room itself. The club is impressive. 30 foot high, wood beamed ceiling, hunter green walls which are adorned with every string instrument you can imagine. Already there are Jerry Mascaro(pianist at Anthony's Runway 84 Tues. Wed, Thurs), Jerry Blum (Mosher St. Records) and my bud Jimmy Belize. Elaine Porteous and her friend Iris are at a nearby table. The night is dedicated to Gypsy JAZZ. The band is fronted by guitarist Gonzalo Borgara with Jeffrey Radaich on rhythm guitar, Brian Netzley(bass) and the lovely Ms. Leah Zeger playing violin and vocalizing. As the band starts to play James Noble(The Orange Door), sitting nearby, spies me and waves "Hello". The voicing of the band is definitely Django and Stefan, but the music is all original and as exciting. 2 of the numbers played, "June" and "August" were very complex and must have taken hours of rehearsal and study. All of the band members are accomplished musicians and the melodies reflect their dedication to the genre of Gypsy JAZZ. Gonzalo is well known by South Floridians for his stint with BLUES bands back in 90's. He plays harp as well but didn't display that skill last night.  Ms. Leah, who has a degree in operatic performance, lays the violin down and sings "Blue Skies". She shows her JAZZ chops by 'back phrasing' just that little bit that makes good JAZZ. The band did another Borgara original titled "Simplicated". Utilizing the 2/4 time signature it was anything but simple. They played two Brazilian shoros. That is the historic music of Brazil and has the basic rhythm of samba. A broken string on a ballad rendition didn't hamper Gonzalo. He played right through it, displaying his mastery of the instrument. A boogie-woogie bass solo by Brian on "Sweet Georgia Brown" had the heads nodding all around the room. Jeffrey sang "L is for the way". There were a couple of Spanish Gypsy influenced tunes with a definitive clave rhythm. The evening was to be concluded with a beautifully done bolero melody. No way!
The audience demanded "One more" and were treated to a super tempoed JAZZ ending. 

Jimmy Belize and I carefully descended the steep steps and went on to an early late night breakfast at IHOP. Graciously, Jimmy invited me to "sleep on his couch". I told him "It's only 44 miles to home". We both agreed that it would be a great opening lyric line for a BLUES tune. On the drive home I tuned the radio to Sirius "B.B. Kings Bluesville" The song that was playing was a recording that B.B. and Bobby "BLUES" Bland had made with a big band several years ago. Bobby never received the acclaim that he so well deserved but his voice and frog croaks are etched in my memory forever. Rest in Peace and Godspeed to Mr. Bobby "BLUES" Bland.
   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment