Saturday, June 1, 2013

I'll never understand-----


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/1/13

...women or today's kids or cricket or Sanskrit. Certain things escape me and always have. Like last night at Joe's Stone Crab. They run a program of JAZZ featuring vocalists on Fri. and Sat. nights until they close at the end of July. Last night Dr. Lisanne Lyons was on stage with well known Jeff Carswell playing bass, George Mateo drums and Jim(the genius)Gasior on the keyboard. Lisanne is an educator, member of the Mad Romance group and popular amongst S. Florida JAZZophiles. I called my pal Bill to make sure he saved me a seat as he arrives early and I was running late. I needn't have bothered. The only one's in the café area were myself, buddy Bill, Capt. Bob and a man I have seen at JAZZ events before, Robert Dulberg. Oh, and the band.

That's what puzzled me. The program has been running for 2 or 3 years. If you didn't arrive early you would have to fight for a table or even a chair. Dr. Lyons always draws a listening group of fans. Jeff and George have been around town for a while. Every JAZZ fan in S. FL. knows Jim. It is beyond my understanding. Never the mind. It was a great evening of listening. At the outset there were a group of loud talking young men at the bar but they were soon seated and we settled down to listen to her wonderful set of pipes. Lisanne is a JAZZ vocalist. Bending melodies and rhythms. Using the lyric to really tell the story. Her scats reflect an understanding of chord changes. Every once in a while she uses closed lips to emulate a horn. Bill says trumpet. I say trombone. I asked Lisanne what she is thinking when she does it. She said trumpet. I said the tone is a little muffled for trumpet. "Well, maybe flugelhorn" she said. "How about valve trombone" I said, because she moves her fingers on the mic as if she's pressing valve keys. We went on to discuss other subjects. An unusual thing happened. In perusing her play list, Dr. Lyons decided on "Never-never Land" from Peter Pan. Jim Gasior didn't know the tune and had to ask for the chart. Another one of my dreams were shattered. Nika, who also appears at Joe's made an appearance toward the end of the evening but chose not to join in. Robert is a practicing attorney, a dedicated JAZZophile and is taking piano lessons from Jim Gasior. When he asked how I knew he was a "phile" I answered by telling him "Because you applaud in the right places" He invoked Ira Sullivans' admonition about applause at the end of a solo. That continues to be an ongoing argument between Ira and myself. Me being for and Mr. Sullivan being against. Next time you see me, let me know how you feel about it. Tonight---TOOTS at Arts Garage.  
    
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment