Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mother Nature heeds the warning...and cuts Al some slack


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/9/13

The good lady relented for her bad behavior Friday night. Saturday was as nice a Florida day as one could expect for the month of June. It afforded me the opportunity to catch some rays, do 50 laps in the pool and then enjoy good music(Latin), music(BLUES), music(JAZZ). After a refreshing shower I headed up to Arts Garage in Delray Beach for some Traditional Cuban Alma. (soul that is). The staff at Arts was thoughtful in laying out the room leaving ample room to dance.

Conjunto Progresso provided the impetus  Johnny Aguilo and Rolando Perez(vocals/percussion). Edel Perez(congas), Jose Pepe Cabral(piano) and I think Juan Marquez(trumpet) Jose Elias(bass/vocals). ---a little bit of history---in 1956, myself and a group o rowdy friends would go to the Catskills(Jewish Alps) on weekends. The Laurels Country Club. I met a girl, Florence Jacqueline Schissler. She was 19, red hair and as sexy as any woman I have ever met before or since. We met Memorial Day Weekend and were married a day before New Years Eve. The band that played at the pool on weekend afternoons was the Lecuona Cuban Boys. Johnny Aguilo's grandfather played in that band..

They started the set with "Aye MaMa, Que Paso." It took about 16 bars and then I could no longer sit still. I looked around. At a table nearby a dark haired lady was shaking her shoulders to the rhythms. I asked her to dance and she
acquiesced (See inset photo - PROOF that Al dances the dance, and not just talks about it! cb). Her name Janet Mintz and a pleasure to dance with. Boleros. son, cha-cha, salsa, mambo---rhythm everywhere.  It didn't take long when I asked Janet's tablemate, Lisa Sed to dance. She could dance as well. Outstanding piano solos by Jose hi-lighted the songs. Rolando Perez was a baseball prospect when he blew a knee. He took to dance and eventually voice. He didn't start singing until he was 26.I am glad that he did.  At Janet and Lisa's table were a couple, Marybelle Aguiar and her husband. At one time we were all on the dance floor doing a quintet mambo. The Conjunto Progresso is a traditional Cuban band playing the rhythms and songs of a long-ago free Cuba. Johnny and Rolando grew up in the northern Cuban province known as New Jersey. Johnny in Union City and Rolando in Weehawken.
When the show concluded it was way too early for me to head home and soooooooooo- down to toity-toid in Ft. Lauderdale to complete my tri-fecta of music. Latin under my belt now for some BLUES and JAZZ.

The BLUES was at Fishtales. Jeffrey James Gang on stage with Jeffrey, Milt Farber, Bret Wadams, John O'Brien and special guest Lynn Syvante. From shaking shoulders and hips to just plain shaking your booty. I had heard Jeffrey at last Mondays Funky Biscuit jam and was impressed with his talent for the BLUES. He and his Gang did nothing to harm that impression. Now across the street to Blue Jeans BLUES. and Jimmy Cavallo. Jimmy has Danny Burger on drums, Dolf Castellano playing piano and Rick Doll strumming electric bass. How do I describe Jimmy's act. His voice is Frank, Tony and Bobby all mixed together and coming up totally Jimmy. The horn has the flavor of Dexter Gordon and Coleman Hawkins. He is playing the shiniest tenor sax that I have seen in 30 years. It is a Yamaha23. He bought it yesterday. He also plays a Selmer MarkVI but as he approaches my age finds this lighter to handle. Jump tunes, ballads, BLUES and JAZZ. Jimmy let's the audience know that CD's I-Pods and the like have their place but nothing does it like LIVE. When he played and sang "Stormy Monday" he let us in on the fact that it "all starts with the BLUES". During one of the jump tunes I asked my friend Alfreda( she is off to the Detroit JAZZ Festival) to dance and we did a little 'lindy'. The evening is coming to a close. The clock strikes 1. There are times when I feel my age but it wasn't this night.

Tonight Nicco Wayne Toussaint at Native American Tap Room, Hollywood Blvd. He's the guy Mother Nature interfered with Friday.

Just to let JAZZophiles know: There are a few open spots in my group for the trip to Havana, Dec.15-Dec.23. 5 days of touring Havana and thereabouts. 3 days Of JAZZ with VIP tix. Call 661 803 9096   e-mail   alkanon@hotmail.com 
    
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment