Saturday, June 22, 2013

the music marathon...( And Allen Kanovsky is leading the pack!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/22/13

Friday's activities start with me meeting my good friend Dr. Jules. We are off to the monthly Ed Bell(WLRN 91.3) live presentation at the radio studios. we get there in time for a lunch buffet provided by the sponsor, Pollo Tropical.
The band this afternoon is the Gold Dust Lounge. An interesting quartet led by Russell Mofsky(guitar), Juan Turros(Tenor/bari/flute/percussion), Arturo Garcia(drums) and Brian Tate(bass). Ed Calle is Juan's mentor and Brian has a steady jam at a spot named The Corner on Tuesday nights. It seemed to me that Russell is a film buff and here is why---the play list---Sidewinder=spaghetti western, Hidden Lake=every spy flick you've ever seen, Ghouls Ball=themes from 007, Tsikoranika(named by Russell's daughter when she was 3)=the Bourne series, No Doze=Rockabilly, Lost Sunset=sci-fi/fantasy, Sea Legs featuring Juan on flute, didn't relate to any film of my recall but was a romantic Flamenco/tango/gypsy melody that still echoes in my head. The final tune of the broadcast was Humble Hill in a return to James---James Bond, that is. The tunes all original and played well. Solos by each of the above were bright and creative. After the show a member of the audience approached Russell and asked if he would compose the score for a projected movie. That should be an easy gig for the very talented Russell Mofsky.

The good Doctor and I drive home and we don't talk about women. Instead we talk about the band we just heard and how enjoyable an afternoon it was. I get home and take a nap in order to be prepared for the full moon night. 

There is a recently opened restaurant that operates only on Friday and Saturday night for dinner and JAZZ and once a month on Sunday for brunch and JAZZ. It is appropriately named All That JAZZ Café. It is owned and operated by Michael(chef/bassist/educator) and his brother Dave. Nice room with pictures of JAZZ stars on the walls, a real piano and spacious table seating. I get a chance to meet their mother, Esther and her friend Stephanie. Two warm and charming women. I wondered how a woman that young could have sons that old but was wise enough not to ask.  Vocalists Rita Dee and Debbie Pierce are there as well. ----Al, this is supposed to be about the music----Alright, already!!. Max Boyko(trumpet) graduating senior at Dillard School for the Arts is out front with Guiseppe Pucci playing drums, Jeff Padowitz on the baby grand and Michael playing occasional bass. The band runs through straight-ahead and be-bop standards. I have been listening to Max for about 5 years now and never fail to be amazed at his brilliance. Rita Dee got up to sing a few and then a girl, who had been waitressing got up to sing. Ms. Argarita Palavicini. She was a little nervous and a little shaky at the start. She composed herself and continued on to do a perfectly JAZZed rendition of "Skylark". The menu is interesting and priced reasonably. Everything cooked from 'scratch' and there are vegan entrees available. You have to be stone nuts to want to be in the restaurant business. You have to be certifiably insane to combine that with a JAZZ club. I asked Michael if his mother hadn't taught him to think in a somewhat reasonable manner. His reply, "I love to cook and I love JAZZ". I think like Albert Poliak(Funky Biscuit) he did it to give himself a place to play bass.

It's only 11PM and way to early to go home. I head for Blue Jeans BLUES. A straight 20 minute drive. 

Mr. Joey Gilmore, the BLUES and a band. Sonnie James(keys/vocals), Robert'Hi-hat' Carter(bass), Willie Miller(drums/vocals) and Andrew Brennen playing a 'bar walkin', honkin', tenor sax. OH man! Ron anonymous has returned to town, Dancin' Mark is there and Alfreda and plenty of folks I know---It's the first day of summer, the season is long over, coming up on midnight and I can't find a seat in the joint. Alfreda crunches Ron over and I squeeze in at the bar on a seat next to Piano Bob.  Joey and the band play the BLUES. A young man had asked to 'sit-in' for a tune and Joey, explaining that they usually don't allow that in the last set, relents and asks the young man up. He is visiting from Brazil and his name is Vitor Struck. Vitor does a good job and Joey reminds us how universal music and especially the BLUES are. Joey is off on a European tour and will return to the States sometime in August.

Tonight at Arts Garage, Little Mike and the Tornadoes. If you like BLUES harp then Little Mike is your man. I will be there with some of my homemade guacamole. A little old fat Jewish guy from the Bronx, Guacamole??. Live 25 years in southern California and you will be amazed at the things you learn to do.
Stop by for a chip and a dip.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment