Friday, June 7, 2013

2 losses and a win...Allen calls 'em like he sees 'em...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/7/13

Last night I set forth with the intention of listening to some Gypsy JAZZ at a new(for me) venue named George's Kitchen. It is on N. Miami Avenue and is as pretty a place as you might find. Downstairs dining, upstairs lounge. The Gypsies were pre-empted by the showing of the Heat game. The Heat lost as I did. They only lost a game. My loss of the opportunity to hear Gypsy JAZZ was greater. My mission now became to save the evening and find some music. Aha!! About 15 minutes away was the Vandyke and the Valerie Tyson Band. I got there while Ms. Tyson was in the middle of "At Last". She sounded great as did the band, David Henry(bass) Eric Davis(guitar), Miss Amie Jules(keyboard), Didier Doossiere(tenor sax), Jay Allen(vocal) and special guest Frederick 'Bam-Bam' Scott at the drum kit. Valerie, herself, is the daughter of the Church as her parents were in the ministry. The "soul" is apparent in her vocals and the band play as well. This is not solely a soul band. Every number played had a touch of the BLUES, a tinge of funk, some JAZZ riffs and played with overall joy. It lifted me out of the feeling of loss(not hearing Gypsy JAZZ). Ms. Tyson chose "Rainy Night in Georgia" to open the last set. You ain't never heard it like that. Oh my!!!. The number also gave Jay Allen the chance to show his JAZZ chops on his vocal solo. Drummer Bam-Bam added a little fun with his lyric interpretations. The keyboard is longer than Amie is tall. Her talent is apparent in every note she plays. Didier is the band master as well as the master of soul. Bass and guitar filled in all the spaces and added to band being a 'tight' unit. The band did "Street Life" and made me think how blessed we all are to be able to enjoy nights of music like this. Thanks to Valerie and the band and G-d Bless you all.

Tonight Nico Wayne Toussaint(BLUES harp) returns to the Fish House in Kendall. If you're there before me and don't save me a seat, I take no responsibility for your well-being. 
   
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment