Friday, June 14, 2013

Every cloud has----


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/13/13

...a silver lining---Let a smile be your umbrella----old saws that will always have meaning. My good friend Dr. Jules Oaklander and I headed for the old Olympia Theater in downtown Miami for some JAZZ listening as I reported yesterday. Sadly Dr. Jules had his dates wrong by a month. Wednesday evening, downtown old Miami. Closed Jewelry stores, closed notions stores, closed-closed-closed. Dr. Jules countenance brightens. Wednesdays there are JAZZ programs at the nearby Miami Tower. Film or live. Tonight was live with Oriente, the band performing. That's the silver lining of the cloud that had descended on the good Dr. and myself. Actually the silver lining doubled down when I had the opportunity to speak with Keith Clarke. Mr. Clarke is a dedicated producer of performing arts shows at the Tower. Most Wednesdays it's classic films. On the 2d Wednesday of the month it's live JAZZ. Admission is free and the venue is drop-dead gorgeous.

As a youngster Keith played alto in his High School band. The Bird, Diz, and Monk inspired this young man to listening harder and learning more. He did not choose music as his career path but has proved to be a leader in the promotion of live performance JAZZ in South Florida. The show I spoke about(mistakenly) will actually take place on Friday, July 12 at the Olympia Theater. Featured will be appearances by Yvonne Brown, the Gary Thomas Trio, Oriente and the Fredrico Britos trio. Admission is free and there is a 1/2 price happy hour prior to the performance. 

Oriente with Eddie (El Gato Fresca) Balzola on guitar and vocals, Orlando Machado on drums, Doni Felix playing bass, Yoel Del Sol congas/vocals and William (Caliente) Peredes playing trombone, covers a lot of bases. They are a traditional Cuban band that will play an old-time son and then do Billies Bounce and then a BLUES and then American Songbook. An example of their versatile stylings is Stanley Turrentines "Sugar" done with a cha-cha rhythm. Jeannette Pena and her niece Giselle were there along with several students of music from the U. Debra Romero, Jennifer Mogno and Frances De La Cruz were busy taking notes throughout the set. Eddie's strongest influence was Mongo Santmaria. He pays tribute to him, John Coltrane and Billie Holiday.  Eddie does a wonderful solo guitar with "Lush Life" which transforms to the full band playing "Ordinary People" No one can say that's not interesting. They closed the show by calling on Melikah Suarez to do "Summertime" with the band. I had never heard this young lady before. She made me sorry that I hadn't. She has a voice, stage presence, swings and does it in true JAZZ fashion.

Dr. Jules and I are off to Hiro on 163d to a late supper of sushi, seaweed salad, edimame, soup and such.

Tonight still up for grabs. Note on Havana JAZZ festival. I was informed this morning that there were only 2 spots left. Sorry.
      
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment