Monday, June 3, 2013

tips on staying in shape (And Allen Kanovsky defines SHAPE his own way.)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/3/13

It is fairly easy to gain weight. It sometimes prove difficult to lose weight. Here are some tips that might be helpful in that goal. First find a street where there are several places that have live music. Find a night when two of them have stuff you want to hear and are about 30 yards apart. 30 yards is equal to 3 first downs.
The 2 establishments exposed in this review are Blue Jeans Blues and Fishtales on 'toity-toid' street in Ft. Lauderdale. Sunday night had JAZZ and jams at BJB's with Anthony Corrado fronting the jam from 4PM 'til 8 and Lourdes Valentin and her band doing JAZZ Meets Broadway. Across the street and down aways is Fishtales, P.J Soares and the BLUES. If you time the breaks properly and high foot it, you will rarely miss a note. That will take care of your exercise program. There's a way to manage your diet as well. Get to BJB's in time for "happy hour". Drinks are 1/2 price and there are some half off appetizers as well. Recommended the health conscious is the Fruit and Cheese platter. You can balance that healthy effort with 'fish and chips' at Fishtales later on. ---------"What did you say, Bill?" Yeah, yeah. I'll tell about the music.

When I arrived at BJB's the jam was in full swing with Ray Bautista singing the BLUES. I had seen Ray, for the first time, last Monday at the Funky Biscuit. Also sitting in on guitar was Tom Whyte, visiting from Ireland. At the drums was Shea Oshen and on piano was Tom Banman. Anthony plays everything else.

I listened to a couple of numbers then hastily made my way across to Fishtales. J.P. was on stage with Chris Pete playing drums and Donald Gottlieb on bass guitar. Piano Bob was there enjoying the sounds as well as J.L Fulks waiting to 'sit in'. We in the Southland are fortunate to have J.P Soares, Albert Castiglia and Graham Woods Drout playing regularly in the clubs around town. Each in his own right are the "tops". J.P. had just started the Willie Dixon tune "A thousand ways to make it to my baby's back door" which includes "a way through the alley that no one knows". Then he did tribute to Muddy Waters by playing "Gypsy Woman". During his solo there is a pianissimo portion where J.P. plays quietly and with tender emotion. It silenced the crowd. No chatter, no barroom clinking. Just rapt attention to every note being played. The solo itself, provided one of those magical moments that come every once in a great while. It is why I am out every night in search of it. He also did something somewhat unusual, using the monitor to provide musical feed back. Another tune started with a distinctly Middle-eastern sound. With chords that you might hear coming from houses of worship in that troubled portion of the world. The tune, "Walk Don't Run" originally done by The  Ventures. J.P.s favorite BLUES line is from Muddy and goes "You're having a good time baby, but, there's gonna be trouble after a while.

Back across to Bjb.s and Lourdes  and the band, Larry Karp(piano), Louis Macias(drums) and a former teacher of hers, Ramses Colon playing a 5 string big box bass. As I walked to a table where my friend Mark was sitting, I couldn't help but notice two attractive women sitting at a high-top that I would have to pass. They were wearing pretty halter like tops and so there backs were bare. As I got closer I couldn't help but notice the chocolaty smoothness of one's back. The temptation to kiss that back was almost unbearable. Valuing my life I thought better of it. A little while later I noticed her 'shuckling'---that's Yiddish for "boppin'"---and told her it would look better if she did it with a partner. She got up and we danced. The lady can dance and we drew a round of applause when we headed back to our respective seats. Her name is Delby Schmidt and she was with her friend Alice Jones. A little later we had a moment to chat and both ladies proved to be quite interesting.

More exercise needed and so back to Fishtales. J.L. Fulks is announced and takes the stage, starting with "Black Cat Bone". J.L. does a tune called "Get Out Of My Life". Part of the lyric goes 'Get out of my life teardrop, got to see around' the line that follows sounded to my like--'lookin' for hi-grade by the pound'.
As I have often said "Listening to BLUES and JAZZ is not a subjective art". Your past experience dictate what you think you hear. Actually the lyrics says about looking for trouble that's bound to come around. I like my version better and so does J.L.

Back on the road to BJB's. I get there just in time to catch "James Brown" as played by talented, Tony Wilson. He does "I Feel Good". All of it. The voice, the innovative dance steps, all of it. The audience loved it. Lourdes returns to the stage doing "Secret Love". I notice a change in her demeanor and song styling. Suddenly she is free. Taking chances with the melody and rhythm. Now it's JAZZ. Lourdes continues with that attitude through "Perdido", "Afro-blue", "One Note Samba" (in Ab) and the spiritual "Wade In The Water". She also did a song from the film "White Christmas", "Counting Your Blessings" with an unusual rhythmic pattern, 2d line. I talk to Lourdes about the sudden stylistic change and we agree that playing with Mr. Colon has something to do with it. My dear friend, Babette, is leaving and I go over to say "Goodnight". A young lady who had been chatting with her says that she thinks I am a very kind man. At least she had the good sense to not say "cute" or "sweet". Her name is Juana Drago and she was there for the music with her partner Carolyn Maldonado. Juana was surprised to know that I knew her name began with a 'J'. Hey, girl, I was brought up in Fort Apache, The Bronx N.Y. where all the girls names ended in 'a'. 

Tonight "The Funky Biscuit" J.L. and Ray both said they would be there. I look forward to hearing them again. Seeya!  

note; the reason I know it was Ab is not because of my musical "ear" Lourdes called it to Ramses when she called the tune.  
    
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment