Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The continuing saga of...(What else? Besides Allen Kanovsky's blue readers?)...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/26/13

...Al's tireless search for a night of musical bliss. He ventures forth night after night in his quest. His travels carry him far and wide-----(wadda you mean, wide? I lost 30 pounds)----To the north, south, east and west. Tirelessly. "Night and Day". And as Sonny & Cher once said "On and On, On and On, On and On".

Enough of the Rudyard Kipling and on to last night. Boston's On The Beach in Delray Beach has "Famous Frank" Ward hosting BLUE Tuesday which for almost five years now has been bringing in BLUES bands for the best weeknight blues to be found in the area. 

Last night it was Iko-Iko. If Frank is "Famous" then Graham Wood Drout is "Legendary". If he is "Legendary" then what would you say of Nicole Yarling. I would say Nicky(she claims Sicilian heritage) is a "Treasure". Graham(guitar/vocals) Nicky(violin) along with BLUES notables Ron Taylor(Hammond XK1), John Wenzel(guitar), Mitch Mestel(bass) and Dan East on drums were the band of the night. The cover was $5.  6 powerful musicians, music 'til past midnight, for a pound note? Cheap at twice the price. The band covered all the BLUES bases. Bo Diddley to Pink Floyd. "The Ghosts of Mississippi" to "Too Much Monkey Business". Graham's wife Roseanne was there with a big hug and "Hello". I bunk(NewYorkese for bump) into Jimmy Belize. He's the photog who shot the pic of me at the top. He is great to listen to music with. You get a history lesson and travelogue with every song. One of the things that makes me love the BLUES are the lyrics. An example--"I'm gonna keep on drinkin' 'til I'm too high to die"---"I worked 5 long years for one woman and she had the nerve to throw me out"---even the one that says "I'll use my shovel to cut off my toe, so I won't have to work no mo'" Jimmy Belize comes up with an original of his own. It's about a woman who bakes some muffins for the band. "She bakes a cake for the band, but she won't cook at home for me." Reminds me of a couple of women I've known in my life.

As I am exiting Boston's, a young woman stops me for a question. She is very pretty, all I can say about the young man she is with is that he has more tats than me. Her question is about how a man should approach a woman. You know, if you read my stuff all the way through the 'disclaimer', is the three most important words a man has to know are "Pardon me, miss." Jimmy and I discuss our travels and say Goodnight. The Real Tracy Fields awaits me and doesn't disappoint. Chet Baker's rendition of "Star Eyes" made in Italy(1962) has just hit the turntable. Then the opposite end of the spectrum with the novelty be-bop tune "OooShoobyDoo Means I Love You". Thanks, Tracy, for a great ride home. I don't know where or when tonight, but I do know it won't be home. Seeya!

p.s. A hearty congratulations, pat on the back and an 'atta boy' to Charlie Boyer, Debby Stricland and myself for hitting JAZZ and BLUES Florida's goal of a quarter of a million views of this blog since inception seven years ago. This entry is #2,101 for the blog, and there are a lot more to come! Advertisers and promoters be aware. We Are There

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment