Monday, June 10, 2013

Repent and ye shall... see Allen Kanovsky out dancing?


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 6/10/13

Dear Mother Nature, All is forgiven. After the Good Mother had me on the brink of total depression Friday night, she relented on Saturday (see yesterdays review) and on Sunday was in a totally repentant mood. A great day weather-wise and a super evening musically. It starts with an e-mail from good friend, Elaine Porteous(African Odyssey) informing me that a guitarist Josh Smith, will be at Fish Tales at 5. Nicco Wayne Toussaint is at the Native Florida Taproom scheduled for 7PM. I had missed Nicco at the Fish House on Friday due to M.N.s tantrum. 

No self respecting BLUES musician starts on time, chronologically speaking. It might ruin their reputation.

I knew I had time to go from here to there and from there to there. So I did. (did that make sense to you?)

It's just about 5 when I get to FishTales. The place is cowded with BLUES fans. It seems that Josh is a local child prodigy who made appearances while still in his teens. Well known artists would invite him up for a tune or two and the audiences would not let him off the stage. Fans from back then were on hand to listen again. One of them, Denny Koehn, remembered those days and was gracious enough to help me hold a seat for Elaine until she showed up. Josh had moved to California several years ago. (does that make him a turn-coast?). On stage with him is Robert Sherer(bass) and Kirster Landivar on drums. He opens the set with an instrumental BLUES tune that is unfamiliar to me. Not only the melody. The rhythm patterns and chords. Definitely the BLUES but different somehow. His playing is technically sound and articulate. It's easy to see why he has so many loyal fans. Following are the more traditional BLUES numbers but Josh continues to introduce new and interesting chord structures. His vocals are soft and easy to listen to.
"There's something On Your Bad Side", I Don't Know No Other Way", You And Me Don't Belong Together"

are all songs with a lyric message. He does an audience response song, "Who's My Baby". Ain't nobody near me can carry a tune or sing on key. I am leaving after the first set but not before I ask Josh for his favorite BLUES lyric line. He says "all time?". Uh huh! A moment and then---"Howlin' Wolf"--"I asked for water she gave me gasoline."

I get to Kilmos Native Florida Tap Room in plenty of time. I could have been 15 or 20 minutes late and still been on time.---BLUES musicians!!!---For those of you who have never visited this dum---di---place, please allow me. Of all the joints I have been in and there are a few, this is far and away the most 
inelegant. It is a bleak black-walled, 30 foot high cavern. The saving grace is a sound system that is worthy of the Radio City Music Hall. People say that it cost 100G's. That's capital G's. It is worth it!!

Every note from every instrument is distinct and easily heard. Congrats to Kilmo. Some complain, saying it's too loud.  You get used to your clothes vibrating fairly quickly. 

Nicco Wayne Toussaint . I say it with love and respect. Nicco is an extra ordi, nary musician. Some people look ar harp players as 'odd man out'. One once said "30 holes and a talented tongue". Listen to Nicco play and sing the BLUES one time and you're forever "hooked". With Nicco on stage are Kilmo playing bass, Kenneth 'Big Easy" Earl at the kit and the one and only Joey Gilmore doing vocals and playing BLUES guitar. Joey is celebrating his birthday and doing so all week. It being Joey it will probably go on all month. 

To make the point about being "hooked" on Nicco. Friday night he played at the Fish House in Kendall. Last night Angela and Jose, owners of that establishment, left their busy restaurant to be in the audience and listen to Nicco again. Even paying a cover. You can't help but becoming a fan.

Nicco and Joey took turns doing vocals. Some new, some familiar. Nicco does "You Don't Have To Call at All". Joey follows with "You're Like A Ball Game on a Rainy Day". Back and forth. Betterer and betterer. Joey sings "Poverty". 'My pay goes down---taxes go up.  Got 'nuf to pay my bills---ain't got 'nuf to pay my rent'.  They close the 2 hour set with an R&B classic "Walking The Dog. 

My friends Bill, Capt. Bob, Davis and Jose were there, well-oiled, when I arrived. Davis and Capt. Bob design and build restaurant interiors. They did the New Orleans motif at the back room of the Fish House. 

I look around the room and see plenty of faces of people who know the BLUES. My pal Dave 'Cat in the Hat', the popular guitarist Drew Preston, Jim(band booker and self-styled impresario), Miss Betty(shake that booty) Rosenthal, LaTanja Hope and her Hosband William Gary. ---the Hope Band  is at BJB's Monday night---and a lot of gals---I know it's not P.C.--- that I see around but can't remember their names, like "Old Flames". 

Hope got up in the 2d set and established her BLUES 'chops' with "Stormy Monday". Then she tore the house down with a funky, ad I mean funky "Baby' I Love You." Even the band was wild. 

Musicians can move musicians to higher levels of performance. Last night Nicco. Joey, Kilmo, Earl and Tanja proved that point.

Nicco and Joey continued to knock the crowd out with vocals and solos. A young woman, Tanya Guiler took a spot on the dance floor right in my full view. She is a bookkeeper by day, a massage technologist in the evening and is a "swing" dance student. She has moves and you can tell that she loves to dance. Elaine and Angela had arrived in time for the 2d set and were clearly enjoying every moment. Joey sang "I Hate To See You Go", Nicco sang "Fever". The night was drawing closer and closer to closing time. Angela asked Nicco to sing "Dancing With The Devil". Nicco started the song and slowly stepped down from the stage. He approached Angela where she stood with her husband, Jose. He motined for her to take a chair. She did. He reached out and held her hand for a moment. Then she stood and they shared an emotional hug. It is hard not to love this man and musician. Nicco returns to his native France early Tuesday morning.

Bon Voyage, mon ami. Please return soon------- 

Just to let JAZZophiles know: There are a few open spots in my group for the trip to Havana, Dec.15-Dec.23. 5 days of touring Havana and thereabouts. 3 days Of JAZZ with VIP tix. Call 661 803 9096   e-mail   alkanon@hotmail.com 
    
     
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment