Thursday, December 13, 2012

witness to a love affair. (Al, this isn't still about that menage thing, is it?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 12/13/12


It's possible to love an inanimate object ie: a painting or a book or sunset or a car. Music written on a page is such an object. The only difference is that when music is played it comes to life. It becomes a vibrant living thing. Last night I (accompanied by my pal Dr. Jules Oaklander) was witness to a love affair between a vocalist and her music. Cheryl Bentyne(Manhattan Transfer) took the stage at the Broward Center along with a brilliant trio, Shelly Berg(piano), Chuck Bergeron(bass) and Daniel Susnjar(drums). The program was entirely made up of Cole Porter compositions. It was clear that Ms. Bentyne loves what she is doing. It was even clearer, to me, that she was "in love" with the songs she sang.  They opened with a smoky "Love For Sale" then a smoking "Alright With Me" and on to a hot, hot ,hot "My Heart Belongs To Daddy". "Daddy" was so hot that I thought Chuck was going to drop the bass and go into full "dance" mode. It was a "can't miss" performance by all.

Marcus Howell, a senior at Dillard School of the Arts, is a very talented and personable alto saxophonist. He entertained the attendees, in the theater lobby, prior to the performance and during the break. He is definitely a JAZZ star of the future. Marcus does play gigs around town. Catch him if you can.

The Gold Coast Jazz Society was the host of this evening. Their upcoming programs include Jon Faddis, Billy Mays, Michael Kaeshammer and Alan Harris. The GCJS sponsors a program that should be dear to every JAZZophiles heart. "First Friday Jams" held at ArtServe in Ft. Lauderdale.

Young musicians, from Middle School on up, get a chance to play with the pro's. Admission is free. If one day in the future you want to be able to say "I heard him/her when he was just a kid" then you gotta be there when it happens.

side note: Shelly, Chuck and Daniel all have doctorates and so does Jules. Surrounded by scholars I sometimes feel diminished. It is time for me to continue my education. Am I still eligible for the G.I. Bill? Can I get credits for lifesyle?  Huh?  

~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment