Sunday, November 10, 2013

"You'll never know just how much...(and Allen Kanovsky will keep reminding you of this until he see you at Arts Garage!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/10/13

...you miss, when you don't get off your butt to get out and listen to some JAZZ or BLUES live.

Sure there was some college football and political B.S. on the box but at Arts Garage there was a night of music that will be remembered long after the scores of games are forgotten.

Vitali Imerelli(electronic violin) made his debut appearance at the Garage. With him were Kelly Davis (guitar) from Davis and Dow, Paul Shewchuk (bass) and George Mazzeo playing drums. The show opened with the rhythm section trio playing "I'll Remember April" and featuring Kelly on the melodic line and doing some nice stuff along the way. The trio traded 4's and Kelly took it out.

Vitali came to the stage. He is a native of Georgia. Not the one in the U.S.A. The one in the former U.S.S.R. Just to let us all know we were going to hear some JAZZ, he opens with a BLUES. "Yardbird Suite" follows---oh yeah!---They play "My One and Only Love" dedicated to the ladies in the audience. Every beautiful emotion is displayed in his variations and on his face.

He has completely captured me and all the rest of the audience. They play "Minor Swing" a Django composition. Vitali's roots are showing and surprisingly I hear a bit of Gypsy in Kelly Davis's solo. In the closing bars, Paul and Vitali have an exchange which reminds me why I come out to listen to music. One of those moments.  Slowing it down a bit they play "Nuage". During the break I spoke with Vitali and asked about "Nuage". Vitali's mastery of his instrument and the JAZZ genre is evident. Explaining that he is a Georgian at heart, without the drawl, the swing into a super up-tempo "Sweet Georgia Brown". Kelly, George and Paul have to really work to keep up. They do as it gives them all a chance to show off. I know Kelly Davis from his work with Julie Dow. Tonight was a different Kelly. This was Davis at his creative best. JAZZ with a capital J A Z Z. During the break I asked Vitali how he came to JAZZ. It seems as a baby his mother would intone JAZZ melodies as lullabies and it became part of his being. I am seated with three couples who are new to Arts Garage. They have been impressed and are sure to return.

A pretty woman arrives, sits next to me, takes my hands in hers and says "It is so nice to see you again". She is wearing glasses and I don't have any idea who she might be. She removes her glasses. I know---a vocalist---"Yes, I sing"---aha---Susana Behar---lovely voice---lovely face.

The 2d set starts with "I Can't Give You Anything But Love". The 8's and 4's that they trade have my attention. They do a medley of bop tunes including "Billies Bounce"  and again I am impressed with Kelly's JAZZ chops. The theme from "Black Orpheus" gives Vitali a chance to display his virtuosity. His bow does incredible things to the strings on the violin. Kelly's rhythmic solo is making me want to dance. Both their solos were 5 star performances. They don't let up when they do "Anthropology". Vitali and Kelly, looking directly into one another's eyes, trade phrases and ideas. Another unforgettable moment. Next, Vitali does a violin solo. His feelings for the music and his instrument are there for all of us to see and hear. In deference to his heritage and some of the audience members they do "Dark Eyes". That melody is deeply carved in to my heart. My father R.I.P. on every family occasion, would drink a 1/2 bottle of vodka, stand up glass in hand, and in a deep baritone voice, intone the words "Oche Chornia"--Russian for "Dark Eyes". What "Besame Mucho" is to Latin music "Dark Eyes" is to the Gypsy nation. The audience is standing and applauding. The call for "One more" echoes through the room. "Ornatholgy" a be-bop standard is what they choose to do. Super up-tempoed and quoting "Salt Peanuts" along the way, they bring it to a rousing close. Based on audience reaction, I think Arts Garage will have a return engagement for Vitali.


This afternoon, Barbara Van with Mike and Nicky Orta and Mike Norris at Jakes, Hallandale Beach.    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment