Saturday, November 16, 2013

A true confession...Allen Kanovsky bares all!


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/16/13

It's time for me to let folks know that I am not above reproach. I have had some bad habits in my life. Smoking, Wild Turkey 101, an occasional toke, wild women and gambling. I stopped smoking, learned that well drinks cost less, I'm way too old for 'wild' women and no longer have the means to gamble. Did I leave something out? All of that has been replaced with my addiction to live JAZZ & BLUES and the accompanying 'night life'. How do I know I am addicted? Here is an example. Last night, the JAZZ musicians from Dillard School of the Arts were to perform at the Hollywood Beach Bandshell. I left home dressed for a Florida November night. Parked and walked 2 blocks. The billboard read--FRIDAY 11/15---CANCELLED. Disappointed I went back home. I took off several layers of clothing and grabbed the remote. The tube came alive. My brain was being sucked into the device. I clicked it off, looked at the clock, 9:20. Jakes, the newly revitalized club in Hallandale Beach is less than 10 minutes away. Who is there? Hey---

Debora Paiva and Ken Burkhart---the urge to listen LIVE overwhelms me and I am on my way, lickety-split. There are good habits and bad habits. Loving music is a really good habit, especially when unexpected things happen. If you listen to JAZZ/BLUES the unexpected is to be expected.

When I walk into Jakes, Debora is singing a ballad, Ken is at the keyboard and Tony Messina is sitting in on harmonica. I found a comfortable leather chair and plopped myself down. Ordered a beverage and indulged my habit. Next came Debora doing "Rte 66" and Ron Sant joins in on flute. If this keeps up there will be a 16 piece band in no time. During Ken's solo he quotes everything from Duke to Thelonius. Is there any wonder as to why I am addicted? Debora decides on "At Last" followed by "The Look Of Love". She has mastered the art of the slightly retarding of the lyric line. It is very effective when used by someone with talent. All of them are on stage for Michael Frank's novelty "Monkey See, Monkey Do" which they 'do' as a duet.

When Debora sings a soulful "Stormy Weather". Both Tony and Ron come through with moving solos. Ken quotes "When I Wish Upon A Star" during his portion. They really swing "This Can't Be Love" to close the set. Jakes has made a nice addition to the room. A large projection TV screen. No football. basketball or hockey. Instead we are treated to the Bill Evans trio. What a nice way to enjoy the break from 'live'. At the start of the next set, Art Weissman(guitar) is on stage with Debora and Ken. Art is a JAZZ guitarist. They do "Once I Had A Secret Love" , especially for me and Flo (RIP), Debora does "Here Comes That Rainy Day".

I was deeply touched by her rendition. Bill(what the)Heck is in the house and is invited up. He elects to do the vocal version of "Green Dolphin Street". I have to admit that he has come along way since the last time I heard him sing. For his second song he does "Rte 66". Truth be told, and I say this as a friend---the scat vocalizations are a bit ambitious. Debora, Ken and Ron do "Someone" and then singing 'en francais' "Autumn Leaves". Absolutely beautiful. During Arts solo in "One Note Samba" I notice that he is playing the rhythmic line ,timed note for timed note, but is creating an entirely different melody. He has me hypnotized. As a vocal duet they do Bill Withers "Hello, Like Before" followed by their own duet version of "Old Black Magic". They play Paul McCartneys "Things We Said Today" with really nice solos by Tony and Ron, to conclude the program. Ken and Art take it out with a little bop riff.

Bad Habit? Death inducing addiction? Noooooooo! It is probably the best "bad habit" a person can have. Join me.

Hi Tracy(the real) Cleo Laine singing "Blue and Sentimental". DeeDee Bridgewater recording of "Let Me Introduce Myself" and then out with Errol Garner and Herby Mann---and so to bed, habit and all. Tonight---lots of choices---see the music listings on JAZZBLUES florida home page.  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment