Friday, November 1, 2013

Princes, pirates,...(haven't you and I both been these throughout life, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/01/13

...paupers and poets* were afoot last night. I covered the latter two. Many of the people that know me opine that I am definitely not a poet. Some think, since I am still not dining on cat food I am also not a pauper. In either case, last night was full of fun. Counts with countesses, pirates with their booty(gals) and I out for Halloween fun. It started at the recently re-opened Jakes JAZZ Lounge in Hallandale. Alex and his wife Pilona have re-arranged the music area and it now really has the air of a private JAZZ club. They have also banned smoking in that area. (Good news). Lourdes Valentin with Jaui Schneider on keys were last nights feature. An enthusiastic audience was there when I arrived. Harem girls, nurses and patients, short skirts and tighter shorts. Nice.

Lourdes did a nice mix of Broadway and JAZZ standards. Couples danced and we were all having a good time. One of the dancers was a guy dressed as a businessman. Shirt, tie, etc. He danced with a tall harem clad lovely. He is the owner of a dance studio in North Miami. Also, methinks we might be related. His last name is Kanevsky.  Mine is Kanovsky. He came from a Russian city, Kiev, which is nearby to my parents hometown. I told Victor I would do some research. 

I had arranged to meet with one of my favorite dance partners, Denise, at BJB's in Ft. Lauderdale. Some might say that's a 'date'. Denise and I are not yet at the 'dating' stage----but. The costumed crowd spilt onto the street. Gals in sexy costumes abounded. Melody (BJB's managing partner) was dressed as a masked "maitrix".Thigh high boots, riding crop included. I managed to down a pill before the chest pain started. I know, I know. You want to read about the music. Visions of scantily clad sugar babies are still clouding my every thought. 

The band was a modified "Sound Of Vision". Valerio Cantore(keys) dressed as a vampire, Scott Korman(Sax/EWI) covered head to toe in black including glowing red eyes, Orlando"Johnny" Machado(drums) dressed as my son. I had come as a Brooklyn docks longshoreman and guest guitarist/vocalist, Denny Artache came as Ozzie Osbourn. Their program was heavily laced with R&R covers including James Brown, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Stevie Wonder. When they played "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" and "Mustang Sally" there wasn't enough room on the dance floor to really shake a booty. The gals rotated those hips just the same. The guys moved their arms up and down with an occasional hand-clap. I can shake my head or shoulder or hips. I can shake a hand and shake-a-leg. I cannot shake my booty. Capt. Ross(trumpet) sat in on a couple of tunes.

At my request, during the next to last set they played some swing tunes and a couple of Latin rhythms. I took advantage of the opportunity to dance with Denise, holding her tight and close. I swallowed another pill.

This afternoon Iko-Iko live on WLRN. Tonite the Gold Coast JAZZ Society JAZZ Jam for youngsters at the ARTSERVE Gallery on Sunrise Blvd.  See ya! 

(*with apologies to Ol' Blue Eyes...)

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment