Sunday, November 24, 2013

And it was only...(Hey Allen Kanovsky! Maybe you need to add on to your disclaimer for this one!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/23/13

...another night out on the town, except last night it happened in The Apple. I couldn't believe it. A parking spot right in front of "Bernie's". Both e's on the neon script Bernie's still sputtered in disrepair. It has been that way for 15 years. Ever since the original Bernie died. His son & daughter run it now and it is still the best joint in N.Y. for JAZZ & BLUES. I walk in and immediately behold three busty beauties at the bar. I had met them before. The mother, Blanche Bernstein and her 2 daughters, Brandi and Beth. They were here, like me, to listen to Bonnie Belle & The B Flatrio, namely Bob Behr(drums), Bill Branagan(keys) and Bart Black(bass). The band was just setting up so I sat next to the ladies and ordered a bourbon with a beer back from Brad the bartender. I downed the booze and was sipping the beer when my two buddies came in. Benny Becker and Bruce Bennett. I introduced Blanche, Brandi and Beth to Benny and Bruce. We decided to sit in the lounge in order to hear the music better. Blanche, Brandi, Beth, Benny, Bruce and I sat down in an oversize booth. Bonnie and the band took the stage and she introduced Bob, Bill and Bart. The opener was "Basin St. Blues" followed by "Baby, It's Cold Outside". The place was filling with boys and babes when they played "Ball and Chain". I have never heard "Bali Ha'i" sung as a BLUES tune before. Then "Besame Mucho". Bonnie swings "Ballerina" and all the band joins in vocalizing "Beat Me Daddy 8 to the Bar". At the break, I introduce Bonnie, Bob, Bill and Bart to Blanche, Brandi, Beth, Benny and Bruce. They begin the 2d set with "Begin the Beguine" and I think to myself. that's a lot of B's.
"Baby, Baby, All the Time" and then "Because Of You". Bonnie does the Andrew Sisters "Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen" with Bob and Bill completing the trio. "Baby, I Need Your Love" then the song they used to sing at weddings, back in the day, "Because"----I think the lyric went-Because you come to me with naught save love----Bonnie and the B Flatrio conclude the evening with "Brother Can You Spare A Dime". A great night of JAZZ, Bossa and BLUES. I say bye-bye to Bonnie, Bob, Bill Bart, Benny, Bruce, Blanche, Beth, Brandi and Brad the bartender. I get into my Buick. BBC is broadcasting the news----- "And It Was Only A Dream."


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment