Monday, November 11, 2013

How do you know...(Well, I would just ask YOU, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/11/13

...there's a Jam going on? Well when the members of the nights house band step aside, sometimes one at a time, sometimes en masse to allow guests to get up and show their chops. 

At Jake's last night the regular Sunday house band had Barbara Van (vocals) out front with Mike Orta (keys), Nicky Orta (bass) and Mike Norris on drums.Fellow musicians in the audience were Steve Eskin(vocals), Lourdes Valentin (vocals), Luz Marina SalazarVocals), Mo Morgen(sax), Bob Ullman(guitar), Jaui Schneider(keys/bass), Jack Siegel(trumpet) and Howard Moss(drums). also in the audience were my favorite dance partner Denise Shuster, my buddies Bill Rutan and Capt. Bob and Mike/Nicky's Mom. Eddie Balzola and Holly Spillane came to listen but left for his gig at the Van Dyke.  I arrived just in time for the 2d set. Mo Morgen(sax) and Bob Ullman(guitar) joined the band. The set opened with an instrumental version of  "Softly". Barbara joins in to do "Who Could Ask For Anything More" and a beautiful ballad, "I'll Always Be In Love With You" . Luz(my other dance partner) gets up to sing doing "You Are Always In My Heart"--in Spanish and English. It is, in my opinion one of the best love songs ever written. She followed it with a Benny Moré composition "Como Fue". Lourdes steps to the stage with Jaui and they play "How Deep Is the Ocean". When they do "God Bless the Child", Lourdes shows how far she has come in vocalizing. Mo didn't hurt the song with his soulful solo. Barbara does "Walkin', Yes Indeed" and then invites Steve up. Howard is now on drums and Jaui has taken Nicky's spot on the bass. Steve is an M.D.. In Miami he is known as the "rock doc". He jumps "Stormy Monday" adding a little "Everyday". During the course of the evening I had been dancing with both Luz and Denise. Now with me "Taking Five" the girls do a great dance routine, high kicks included. Steve closes with "Autumn Leaves". Steve steps down. Barbara steps up doing "I'm Happy When I'm With You". The band took a break to grab a bite. When they return Lourdes sings "One Note Sambas" with Jaui on bass. Jack opens "Rte 66" with a solo  and swings all the way through. He is featured again on "Angel Eyes" during which Jaui takes a 'harp' solo.

Barbara comes back with a medley of "Bully-Wooly" and "Around the World". Steve gets up to do "Lullaby of Birdland", scat and all. Barbara always closes the show with a dedication when she sings "Amazing Grace" Tonight's dedication was to the victims of the typhoon  in the Philipines and of course our troops serving in Afghanistan. I kissed all the girls, Shook hands with all the guys and looked forward to tomorrow. Why? Because Monday night is Jam night at the Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton . "Who Could Ask For Anything More"--------


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :