Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How do you debunk...(hummm... tough one, Allen Kanovsky! Maybe by sitting up, swinging your feet out, and standing up in the morning?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 11/12/13

...a myth? If you live in Hollywood CA. you get Woody Harrelson, Wesley Snipes and Rosie Perez and make a movie titled "White Boys Can't Jump." If you are in Hollywood FL. you get in the car, on Monday nights, and head to the Funky Biscuit for David Shelly's BLUES Jam. Why? Because BLUES musicians of every nationality, color, faith, height, weight or sex, come together to play, and completely debunk the theory about "White boys" and the BLUES. Additionally at the Funky Biscuit you are likely to run in to fun loving gals like Isabel Reynoso and Gerrilyn Livingston. Oh yeah, the music. David Shelly(guitar/vocals) is the host. The rest of the house band has Charlie Gaspar(bass), Drew Pearson (guitar/vocals), Tom Regis (B3/keyboard) and Randy Radenauer at the kit. "Don't You Lie To Me" is the bands opener followed with a slow, drag-tempo version of "You Ain't Nothing But A Hound Dog." You ain't nothing 'til you hear Dave do this one. Drew takes a turn at the mic with "Prisoner of Love" during which Tom does a really nice B3 solo and David proves that "White boys can--------. They play the New Orleans voodoo tune "Congo Square" As the final notes of the song fade, the audience stands up to applaud Randy's exceptional drumming. They close the set with "I'll Make You Love Me". Some jammers are in the room, including Bob Grabau (tenor Sax/vocals), Jaim Lynn (electronic violin/vocals), Jerome Degey (guitar), Zvi (trumpet) and Pete Drabtel on the B3. Bob Grabau is bigger than the doors in my apartment. His voice and BLUES renditions equal his size. After he sang and played Albert Kings' "As Years Go Passing By" I had to dub him 'Brother' Bob. Jaimy, Jerome and Pete added to the dramatics of his performance. Jaimy chooses a slow shuffle to do "Rte 66" and she has Drew Pearson dancing at the bar. Reggie(guitar/vocals) gets up to do his 'funk' songs and David takes to the drums. Drew returns to the stage to be featured on a slow---slower------slower BLUES. I turn around and see Bobby Nathan and Joanne have come in. Monday was Bobby's '3 x 21' birthday. Many Happy Returns. Bobby and Zvi take the stage. Joanne sits down at the B3 to do "Take A Walk On the Wild Side" with Bobby. "Come On Baby Let the Good Times Roll" and when they play "No Time To Spare" Al Poliak takes over the B3 and Joanne moves to the keys. A gentleman whose name I didn't get but I think his surname is Stewart takes the stage and mic to do "Stormy Monday"---ho-hum! David is closing it down with "Take A Little Trip" and then a straight ahead BLUES jam tune. Had a great night of musical pleasure and it was further enhanced when I turned the radio on to the real Tracy Fields and Jaimie Ousley's album "Voices of the Sea". Her show closed with her traditional Monday night/Tuesday morning, playing of Jesse Jones Jr.s flute/scat version of "Coming Home". It almost took me all the way home------ 

Arts Garage is my Tuesday destination. Joe Locke (vibraphone) has a performance at 7:30 and conducts a Master Class at 4 on Wednesday. Vibes are far and away my favorite JAZZ instrument. 


Can't wait!!!!!    

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment