Saturday, September 14, 2013

I got lucky last night...(yes indeed, Allen Kanovsky IS Mr. Lucky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

...and you might say I got lucky twice. Maybe 3 times. Why are you laughing? I'm only 81. I can still get lucky, now and then. Maybe not in the way those of you who weren't brought up right are thinking but in the way I lead my life. I'll tell you about it!

 Lucky #1--A live performance by Ms. Leslie Blackshear Smith at Arts Garage.

 Lucky #2--the band, Mike Orta (piano&keys), Aaron Lebos (guitar), Paul Shewchuk(bass) and Rudolfo Zuniga on drums. Added pieces were Drew Tucker playing vibes and djembe, Aldo Solvente sitting in on tenor sax and the twins dubbed Double Trouble.

 Lucky #3--late night burger, margaritas, conversation with Mike and friend Luz, Rudolfo, Aldo and Paul at DaDa.

I also fell in love---how could anyone get lucky and fall in love all on the same day. 13 is my lucky number and especially when it falls on a Friday----I am not kidding!!!!!. I arrived at the Garage a few minutes late. 

A gal (read woman to be P.C.) is on stage. She is tall(aided by an outrageous pair of shoes), fairly easy to look at, wearing jeans, a shirt and a quantity of chiffon scarves. She is also singing. A shuffle beat to "I'm Tore Down". Good voice, nice delivery. She tells us about the next tune, an original composition she wrote for a young girl in trouble. The song is titled "All Will Heal With Time". If you read my disclaimer it explains that I love words and music. This song had it all. A beautiful melodic line and very meaningful lyric. Al Kanovsky fell in love with the girl and the song. Leslie continued with originals. First a BLUES with "I Gotta Quit You" and another one she wrote "Solitaire--with You", Mike and Rudolfo adding solos.  I am seriously thinking about going out to buy "the ring". I am captivated by her use of vocabulary. This woman knows an awful lot about life and its troubles. She proves it with a song "Why Can't You". She invites 'Double Trouble'(Tashad & Rashad Gardenhire) up to join her in "Ain't No Sunshine". Their rendition brings the audience out of their seats with applause. Leslie returns to the BLUES with a soulful "Everyday". "Hootchie Kootchie" closes the set and I can't wait to get "up close & personal" with Ms. Leslie Blackshear Smith. She is gracious, humble and bright. I already told you about being in love-. She lives in New Orleans and it is reflected in her music and approach to it. 

The 2d set opens with "Ain't It Funny How Love Works"---tell me about it--- where again she shows off her talent for lyrics and a great rhythmic sensibility. Returning to the shuffle, she does "Done With How You Do" and Aldo makes his first appearance with an accompanying tenor background. She sings a Bonnie Raitt hit, "Love Me Like A Man' and gives Paul a chance to show off on electric bass. Drew Tucker comes up to back her with the vibes when Leslie does "What Kind of World". Drew is one of the Directors at Arts Garage and runs the school. He can and does play vibes. Ms. Smith closes with an impassioned "Love Walks With Me" and everyone in the show joins in with Drew now playing the djembe drum. These past couple of hours will long be remembered. 

As to Lucky#2, need I do more, than mention their names again  Mike, Paul, Aaron, Rudolfo, Drew, Aldo, Tashad & Rashad. Three words--9 letters--WHAT A BAND!!!!!

Lucky #3. Great burger, great margarita, great conversation. We traveled the world and deeply explored the beauty of Costa Rica. Tales of Paris and old times. They threw us out after 2AM.

Are there any jewelers or pawn shops open on Sunday?

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment