Monday, September 16, 2013

If you want to grow up to be...(is GROW UP the operative term here for you, Allen Kanovsky? We will ask Lourdes Valentin...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

...a JAZZ singer, I will offer a few tips. First, find someone to give you voice lessons. After you have had a lesson or two, start listening to good JAZZ because who you pick to back you up will mean as much as the quality of your vocalization. A good rhythm section, with creative musicians can help on the road to success. A classic example of this being true follows.

Last night at Blue Jeans Blues I had the good fortune to see, on the stage, Mike Orta(piano), Orlando Machado(drums) and Ranses Colon(upright double bass). The band was there, playing for JAZZ singer Lourdes Valentin. Joining me to listen was Barbara Van(she brought roses and cake slices for all), Luz Salazar Marina, Carlos Triano, my buddy Mark, and a large group of Lourdes'  fans and fellow congregation members. The band opened with an original composition by Ranses and titled "BJB's Latin JAZZ" and featured Senor Colon with a masterful solo.   Anything Latin, including 'chicas', immediately puts me in the right frame of mind. Lourdes steps on stage. This beautiful young woman is wearing an all black outfit that matches her dark ringlets. A frou-frou tutu reflects her frustrated ambition to be a ballerina. It evokes the image of the 'black swan' in ballet. Lourdes opens with a Latin rhythmed "You're Just too Marvelous". I must say, Lourdes started her singing career singing to 'tracks'. It took time, dedication and a lot of practice to break away from the bad habits singers develop when they depend on that artifice. She has escaped into the freedom JAZZ can offer. She continues in the Latin vane doing another 'gringo' classic---"All Of Me" with a little Caribbean influenced scat portion and a duo with just her and Orlando on the drums. She takes me back to my misguided youth with a really impassioned "Nature Boy". Lourdes swings "Winter Wonderland" when someone requested a song about snow. SNOW???. I asked Luz to dance, helping to shake the image. To display how far she has left 'tracks' behind she opts to do Billie Holidays "God Bless the Child". True, Billie wrote it and did several incredible recordings, but Ms. Valentin took it and sang it in her own style and voice. A funky, syncopated rhythm changed the way you listen to that song. No, it did not bring Billie to mind. It made me appreciate how far Lourdes has come. It definitely was all Lourdes Valentin. From 'Oklahoma' she sings "Oh. What A beautiful Morning" and they swing it---whew!. Lourdes picks up her guitar to accompany herself on "Cara Me" and then off to Brazil with "One Note Samba".  Lourdes wrote an inspirational tune titled "I Choose To Love You". It is the story of her relationship with our Lord. Bye-Bye Birdie had no Latin influenced tunes. Don't tell that to Lourdes, 'cause her "Put On A Happy Face" is, without question a rhumba which include  a portion with her and Ranses doing one on one. Barbara Vann is invited up to do "How Deep Is the Ocean". It has been a long time since I last heard Barbara. You could tell that she has been working hard on her performance arts. Lourdes returns to do "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I don't know a female singer who doesn't sing this song. Lourdes showed off her JAZZ chops with a very unusual melodic line. Taking chances is a large part of what JAZZ is all about. Again the rhythm has me asking Luz(Mike's girl friend) to dance. This is always a chancy endeavor. It is not prudent to make a Latino jealous. Luz is younger than my daughter----just so none of you think about egging Mike on. Lourdes ends the set with "If I Only Had A Brain". During the break, Mike Norris(big band leader/drummer) had arrived. He plays with two cymbals set high above his kit. He explains it originally was 'all for show'. Mike also knows how to make you laugh. When someone asked him what he would be if he weren't a musician, his reply was "I'd be a drummer". Hey!---I thought it was funny---maybe because I know a lot of guys who play drums. The 2d set opens with Lourdes doing the unusual "Afro-Blue". Ranses has his chance to show-off a little and then Orlando tears it up with a four-star exhibition of drumming. Now Lourdes sings "Secret Love". It is a lovely ballad and Mike has to show Orlando & Ranses that he can do a super solo as well. He does!. My 'alma latino' comes to life again when Lourdes and the band do "Que Sas"---oh, the memories. I do this lively number with Luz as my partner. Lourdes jumps "All I Do" and hands are clappin'. Luz is invited up and does a "bolero " with Carlos and then a cha-cha rhythm. Lourdes graciously agrees to dance with "Papa". Now Barbara joins Lourdes to do "Route 66". They sing in  two different keys. Do you still want to play in a band behind 'chick' singers. Lourdes picks up her guitar again to do the spiritual "Wade In the Water". Ranses uses the bow to add soulful tones to the background. The rhythm now becomes 2d line New Orleans and an unusual "Count Your Blessings". Remember what I said about taking chances.

Richie, Turk Mauro's buddy has joined Barbara, Mike Norris and I for the last set. Lourdes, again employing Latin rhythm, sings "Close Your Eyes". Barbara, dedicating the song to her recently passed brother, her Mom and a recently killed soldier in Afghanistan sang "Amazing Grace". Going way back to the '40's Lourdes closes the set and show with "On A Clear Day". I sat around chatting with Mike & Luz--Barbara & Richie--Orlando--Dianne and Mike at the bar--oh yeah--I paid my check! 

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment