Monday, September 2, 2013

Temptation...(Allen Kanovsky is NOT immune!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/2/13

...will often lead you astray and then the consequence can be dire----or be lots of fun.

Saturday night I fell victim to temptation spelled College Football on TV. TCU vs. LSU and Georgia vs. Clemson--impossible to resist. Think about a game--TCU vs. LSU in which every guy wearing a helmet has been playing football since the day after the last time his Mom changed his diaper. 

Sunday, I had to do penance for my transgression. I started out by going to the Riverwalk Sunday JAZZ Brunch. The band, an augmented Sound of Vision. The venue, Ft. Lauderdale's Riverwalk. The background, million dollar yachts,  guided tour boats, small private craft all cruising "On the River". The music, no one could ask for better. Valerio Cantore(keys), Kai Sanchez(bass) the multi talented Greg Diaz(sax/flute/vocals) of Mad Romance and on drums, Ramon Casales. What could be more fitting than starting the set with "Green Dolphin Street".  My acts of contrition continued by listening to their rendition of "Slightly Out Of Tune" which in translation is Desafunado.  "Days of Wine and Roses", "I'll Remember April" and Greg sings "'til We Overflow". Greg picks up the flute for "Samba Del Orpheo", the theme from the film 'Black Orpheus'. During the playing of 'Samba' I received a call informing me that my sister Florence(95) had passed away that morning. Depressing news and I headed home--a blue funk enveloped me--it needed to be remedied. The prescription is New Orleans. Too far to drive. Aha!! The Big Easy on Hollywood Blvd. Piano Bob and his boogie-woogie piano might provide the cure. It did, especially because he had Graham Drout vocalizing and playing guitar. They lifted my spirit and turned my face back to the sunlight. Listening to the BLUES can do that. The duo ran the gamut---BLUES, boogie, funk, shuffles and a bit of Cajun flavor. "Mr. Bossman", "Take Your Hand Out My Pocket", "I'm Just Your Fool" and a favorite of mine, "Let's Talk It Over One More Time". A spicy Bloody Mary, some shrimp 'n grits and this old bird is feeling a bit brighter. I'm about to head for "Cheers" and the harmonica shoot-out but the "Bloody" has me ready for a nap. In the car, listening to B.B. King and Ruth Brown on Sirius radio. They're doing "Ain't Nobodies Business" and there ain't no better version of that song, anywhere, anytime. Nap and then cocktail hour beckons. I continue my penance at Blue Jeans BLUES. Anthony Corrado's Sunday Jam is in full swing with band members Shay Eishen(drums), Paul Banman(piano) with Tony Marrero(guitar) and James Tidwell(bass) sitting in. In a bit, 2 FIU student flautists, Brian Smith and Daniel Ferguson do some outstanding note playing. The band does a somewhat slow swing/funk "When A Man Loves A Woman". The lovely Denise invites me up to dance. Of course I comply with her wish. I like dancing with that gal. She can dance. Anthony picks up the banjo and plays "Has Anybody Seen My Gal". Denise takes center stage and does a solo Charleston. Denise not only can dance, she can shake that fanny as well.
The feature at BJB's is Sista Mary Beth. with her are Chuck Fiore(bass), Tommy Benson(guitar) and her son Cain Daniel on drums. Cain has been accepted at Berklee in Boston and is anxious to be on his way.

'Sista' sings the BLUES. She has changed her presentation and style. There is a taste of Janis, Big Mama Thornton and Etta James. In combination it makes for a whole new and original Sista Mary Beth. Some of what she now does are original tunes, some standard BLUES and a little bit of Rock 'n Roll. "Walkin After Midnight", "Ain't Gonna Be Your Sugar Momma No More", "Trouble With Angels", "Man Size Job" and "I Know What Love Can Do"  were all part of the first set. Tommy's BLUES solos added to Sista's soulful performance. Tommy Benson can play it all---BLUES, JAZZ, Salsa---without raising a sweat, except at Havana Hideout on Tuesday night where everybody sweats but has a good time. The 2d set started with a kind of Texas swing tune and now toes are tappin', heads are bobbin'. "Life Is Hard, You Got to Learn To Live It", "Nothin' Better To Do", "Love Is A Fool Like Me" and a song that lyric lines are "I want a love that makes me stutter when I talk, makes me stumble when I walk"----how can you not love the BLUES. Sista sings a shuffle "Workin' On Me Baby". A tall gorgeous blonde in a black, form fitting long dress, gets up to dance with a guy that's a head shorter, but not bad looking. Son of a gun, the guy dances as good as me.---well, almost. Her name is Lana Van Horn, his is---I forget---no---his is John Grove. They do make a lovely couple especially dancing. John can swing. Mary Beth does a duo, voice and bass with Chuck, "Time After Time", beautiful to listen to. A great version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and it is time for the check and the ride home. Monday night-----????? 

Arts Garage.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment