Sunday, September 22, 2013

There are more ways...(for Allen Kanovsky to have fun than for most people, except those that go to Arts Garage!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/xx/13

...to spell fun than just F U N. I found one last night at Arts Garage. It was spelled Barrelhouse Chuck.

His dedication to the BLUES is legendary. He drove from Florida to Chicago when he was 21 in  order to study the art of BLUES piano. His influences included, Sunnyland Slim, Pinetop Perkins, Blind John Davis, Detroit Junior and Little Brother Montgomery. At times he would drive them to their respective gigs. I wish I could have been there. With him last night were Orlando Machado(drums), Paul Shewchuk(bass), Lindsey Blair(guitar) and Gustavo Lezcano(Mississipi Saxophone). They had met as a group a half hour before performance time but when listening you would have thought they had been together forever. In sync and grooving.

Prior to the opening number I had the opportunity to peruse the 'play list'. 32 songs plus another 15 'maybe's'. From "Barrelhouse Woman" to "Caldonia", 1900 to 1950, a history of piano styles---stride, boogie and all of it really based on the BLUES. Jim McKaba, a long time cohort and fellow pianist drove down from Jacksonville for the performance and a chance to sit in. Piano Bob drove up from Hollywood for the same reasons. Chuck has a warm smile and a personality to match. His piano is an extension of those attributes. The cat can play. I would name all the songs but it would take me past kick-off time so let it suffice with the opener "Pinetops Boogie" written by Pinetop, the first of the boogie-woogie pianists. Chuck has the voice for the BLUES and so does Jim McKaba. Barrelhouse invites Jim up and he does "Lonesome". Together they do "T'aint Nobodies Business", then they share the stool to do some 4 handed 'boogie'. Let me tell you, "the 'joint is jumpin" . Next he invites Piano Bob to the stage to do a couple including "Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog No More". Again some 4 handed piano and "Going Back To Memphis". Are you having fun yet? I am! Chuck returns solo with a shuffle "She Got A Thing Going On" referring to the ever shortening of skirts. He follows with a song dedicated to drinkers--"You Can't Live Long" (I am living testament that the statement is untrue). They wrap up the set with Louis Jordan's "Caldonia"--they swing it and Chuck quotes both 'Route 66' and 'C-Jam Blues'.  I've been tappin' and clappin' all the way through and even I need a break. The 2d set opens with the band doing " Cow-cow Boogie" transing into "Canadian Sunset". Barrelhouse Woman", Got My Eyes On  You" and a great vocal number "School Days". Jim McKaba comes back to the stage to do "If You've Ever Been Mistreated" which has one of my favorite lines---'she had the nerve to throw me out'. Chuck does 'It's You I Hate To Lose". Solos by each of the band members tell the story of what 'catching a groove' really means.  They all take their shots during a rendition of a 1948 tune "It's You Baby". One of Orlando's solo brings thoughts of Gene Krupa on "Sing, Sing, Sing". Lindsey's shows a strong B.B. Gustavo has the audience in strong applause.  King influence. Barrelhouse does "Way On the Outskirts of Town". Jim and then Bob return to the stage. Now it's 6 hands and only 1 keyboard. Hmmm--thirty fingers, 88 keys. 30 into 88 is not easy division, at least for me. Include a narrow bench and 3 butts. I leave the visuals to you. Anyway it was a heck of a way to close a show. I reiterate, there are more ways to spell fun than just F U N.

Paul told me a story about one of his ex-wives and Piano Bob. This woman was from Brazil and did not have true command of the English language. Upon meeting Bob, she said, "How lucky you are that your mother named you "Piano Bob". Well, I thought it was cute---don't write or call. It's Sunday-----------
"Only the Shadow Knows"   

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment