Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Life is filled with...(and, in the case of Allen Kanovsky, just plain FULL! w/ great nights like at Boston's on the Beach's Blue Tuesday w/ Little Mike and The Tornadoes!)

Tony O & Allen Kanovsky

Submitted by Al Kanovsky 9/25/13

...mysteries. Some are wondrous, some mundane. Examples:rainbows-time. Last night at Boston's I ran into one of those mysteries. How do 4 guys, raised on the streets of New York, play the BLUES like they grew up on the shores of the Mississippi. Little Mike and the Tornadoes played straight ahead, traditional,
3 chord, 16 bar BLUES. It has people clappin', tappin' and dancin'.

People you say? How about(no ego here)me, famous sound engineer/producer Frank Papitto, Jimmy Belize, Piano Bob with Mary, Charlie Boyer with Debbie Strickland(or vice-versa), Shea with Jean, Jennifer Villoria and lots of folks I see all the time but do not know by name.

TonyO Melio (lead guitar/vocals), Brad Vickers (rhythm guitar), Jonathan Buck (drums) and Little Mike (harp/vocals) are all native NYers but play with a southern drawl. I don't know where Danny Hamilton (bass) was raised but have to assume it was south of the Mason-Dixon line. The band opened with a traditional BLUES tune featuring a Tony O solo. *note: the city boys started playing together 30 years ago. Little Mike takes the stage, singing and playing "Baby, Please Don't Go." He follows with "I Got Drunk Last Night" and then "'Forgive Me Baby." 

During Little Mike's solo he managed to make that 'Mississipi Saxophone' sound like a soprano sax. The band does "Love My Money Too" and the groove even has Charlie and the Boston staff clappin' along. When they do "New Mule Kicking in My Stall" I notice the name on Tony O's guitar. Linda When I asked him about it, he told me it's his sisters name. She bought him his first guitar. Her beautiful soul now rests in the Lords arms. They do "Rock Me" and Mike uses the 'mic' against his throat to create an interesting effect. "Wait A Minute Baby" a slow shuffle, gets some folks up to do some exotic and erotic dance moves. One of thes couples, namely, Shea and Jean do a dance that my friends call the "Why dance!" 

When I was 6 years old, a pal by the name of Jo-jo Pugliese, told me that if you danced like that, you would make the girl pregnant. I advised them of that fact. It didn't seem to bother them. I would take that chance with her anytime. I danced with Debby. She is a bit exotic. I am 82, neither exotic or erotic. Now the band started to swing with an upbeat shuffle "BLUES Make You Feel So Good". Tony drops to a knee with Mike alongside-duets and solos-all good. One of Little Mike's major influences is James Cotton and they do "Standing Close to My Baby". Now, Mike makes that harmonica sound like a trumpet played with a 'wah-wah' mute. Another BLUES musician I know, once referred to harp players as "32 holes & a talented tongue". We should all be so gifted.

The 2d set started with TonyO doing a rock 'n roll number titled "My Rocket 88" followed with Mike joining in on "Everythings Gonna Be Alright" 'Famous Frank Ward' joins in on guitar when they play "I Don't Want No Woman Tellin' Me What To Do". ---did I write that lyric?---No. It was done by the great Bobby BLUE(S) Bland. "These BLUES Are Killing Me" and Jonathan Buck (My homeboy from The Bronx) does  the shuffle solo.They play Jimmy Reed's "You Don't Have To Go ", now a little funk, with "I Want Your Love All the Time" . I don't believe it but they do "The Huckle-buck" and Piano Bob gets up to do some Jitterbug moves. He prefers the jitterbug over lindy. Something to do with beat count. Dan Lombardi takes Frank's place on stage. He is no slouch either. The band plays "I Don't Want To Go". Little Mike jumps off-stage and wanders around the audience playing softly into some pretty ladies ears. He sits down next to me and doesn't play quite as softly. #1. I'm not female. #2 I am definitely not pretty. I think Debby Stricland immortalized the moment with a pic. To end the night, Tony O takes center stage, playing harmonica and vocalizing, "Mr. BLUES, He Don't Like Nobody" and then everyone doing "Wondering Does That Woman Love Me." Tony O claims he's from Corona in Queens. I lived for a long time in an adjacent neighborhood. Nobody from there ever played BLUES guitar like him or 'harp' like Little Mike. Conclusion: they didn't spend much time in school. 'nuff said.

Publisher's Note
Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment