Monday, April 22, 2013

The way to live


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/22/13
It was Sunday and I started the day with a hearty breakfast. Then continued on to a hearty party where I would party hearty---it made sense when I thought it---any way, my friend Mike Murk, who does something in the computer world that I have no understanding of, held an "Air Show" party for a few dozen of his friends.

The Guest list included a retired major league baseball player, Tommy--a published romance novel author, Marcia--a C.P.A, Elliot--a gal with a great voice, Donna--a pianist/vocalist Johnny, Babette(my mambo partner) and several young ladies who had careers they would not discuss (at least with me). Enough Sangria to float the British Navy and enough food to keep my cholesterol at the 90 octane level. When I arrived Donna was singing along with a karaoke player and I asked if the song was from "Les Mis". She said it wasn't but rather from "Phantom of the Opera". We talked about how similar the tunes from A.L. Webbers musical were. Is it possible for a composer to steal from himself? Donna, who is an astute music historian told me that Webber had composed the music using the chord changes from "Happy Birthday". Why didn't I think of that???? John Cole sat down at the piano and before you could count ten a sing-a-long was in progress. After several glasses of the tasty Sangria, even I thought I could sing. Mike shoots videos at different music venues and they can be viewed by going to You Tube "Michael Murk".

After fulfilling my social obligations and satisfying my basal desires I headed the short way to BJB's where the "Mama BLUES" Juanita Dixon was appearing. When I walked in Mitch Goldstein was busy setting up his electronic Hammond B?. Juanita was sitting with a woman I knew, Theeta, and I joined them for some chat.

As I like to do, I asked Juanita for her favorite line from a BLUES song. She needed time to think about it and I didn't get an answer until the end of the 2d set. On stage with Juanita was Jeff Prine(guitar) the aforementioned Mitch Goldstein, Danny Berger(drums) and guest guitarist Gino Lancetta. Along the way Larry Karp sat in at the keys. The French couple I write about, that dance so well together were there and they inspired me to dance with the lithe Theeta. Across the room, a blonde woman sat by herself. She looked somewhat familiar. I didn't know where I knew the face from. My frequent haunts? A neighbor? My poetry group? Overcoming my innate shyness(huh?) I approached the lady and in a line probably used 10 billion times I asked where I knew her from. Of course I followed with "It must have been in a movie." Her name is Gil Faber and she is an artist. And bright. She parried my query and we had an interesting conversation about the "Arts". I walked away before she completely enraptured me.

Juanita did a favorite of Flo's, "Put On Your High-Heeled Sneakers". Flo actually had a pair. The band closed a set with "I Like To Live the Love That I Sing About". By that time some of the survivors of Mike's party drifted in. Again the party was "on". While "jitterbugging" with Theeta she let on that she was a "grandma". Uh-Uh, not with those gams or that figure-Uh-Uh. 

Before the final set, Juanita sat with me to discuss my question, After some intense thought, Juanita said there were 2 at the top of her list. "Little" Jimmy Scotts line--"Fool that I am for thinking you'd love me too" and Etta Jones "Don't go to strangers, darling, come to me". I went home thinking how sad and how beautiful both those lines were. No Tracy on Sunday night so I was on WDNA. The tune was "Killer Joe" done by Ray Baretto sometime in the 90's. Done to mambo rhythm it was fitting tribute to the original "Killer" Joe who had conducted the mambo classes art the Palladium in the late 40's and earl 50's. 

Unless I can regenerate/rejuvenate I might take Monday night off. See ya'
     


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment