Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blessed is the child...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/14/13

I must be doing righteous things to be blessed in so many ways. Last night was an example of how I am rewarded. 

(1)During the afternoon, there was a brief storm. A bolt of lightning landed nearby and knocked out internet, TV and land line phone service. That gave me a chance to take a nap. Old guys do that.
(2)Met my buddy Bette for an early repast. Bette had a "coupon". A bite, an adult beverage, a beautiful server, enlightening conversation and a generous tip. My end $8.
(3) Arts Garage and a seat at table #1 where I could see Jim Gasiors hands on the keys of that great piano and have Isabel and her brother as tablemates.
(4) Ed Calle, Jim Gasior, Jose Negronis, Nomar(Ramon backwards)Negronis and Jeff Carswell on stage
(5) A play list that went from ballad to be-bop to samba to classic to the native rhythms of Venezuela.
(6) An evening of music that will not be forgotten.

Mr. Ed Calle is to me "The Boss of tenor sax". Sweating bullets he does things with that horn that no one else even attempts. Ethereal half-tone notes, triple tonguing and be-bop phraseology that transcends even the greats of the past. If I sound effusive and a little "over the top" it's because the music got me as 'high' as I've ever probably been. Jim, the genius, was featured on one song and opened with an elaborate arpeggio. Generally I can recognize a song within a couple of bars. Jim was so creative that even after a few hundred notes, I couldn't even get close. Finally, a rhythmic phrase that got me to it. "All The Things You Are". Can you imagine a human being as a piano or a piano as a person. Jim's performance was just that. Instrument and musician became a single unit. United by sound. Definitely a unique musical moment.

Before I get back to Ed, a few words for the rest of the band. Sadly, I have neglected going to listen to the Negronis, father and son. Last night they made me regret that neglect. Jose playing the keyboard and son Nomar at the drums were both superb. Jeff on bass has played with Ed for a number of years and for good reason. He is as solid as a rock. 

I first heard Ed shortly after arriving in FLA. 7 years ago. It was at the historic O'Hara's(RIP) on  Los Olas. He had a band of his students with him. I knew I would listen to as much of Ed as I could. I am a be-bop devotee and Ed obviously loves it too. He started playing in bars in his early teens and developed an affection toward the "Lush Life" including Cuba Libres' (rum&coke). Cuba Libre translated means Cuba FREE. That is a wish and hope for all freedom loving people. They played a song with that title. They played tribute to Burt Bachrach with "What The World Needs Now" and to the great saxophonist, Gato Barbieri by playing selections from "Europa". The band did Ed's arrangement of Ravel's "Bolero" and it brought a long lasting round of applause. I could go on for ten thousand more words and not come close to describing the power of last nights performance. Ed spoke to the audience expressing the thought of how great it is to play in a place where the audience pays attention. No background chatter, applause when deserved and the feeling of being appreciated. That describes an Arts Garage audience, perfectly. The musical performance concluded with a traditional Venezuelan Indian song title "Alma LLanera", The Soul of the Plains. A soulful way to conclude and evening of beautiful music. On my way out, JAZZ pianist, Natalie Vey further explained the meaning of the title.

I chatted with Ed and Jim after the performance. It is a perfect union of (what's the plural of genius?) two of JAZZ's genius(es). Ed told me about the influence on him by Gato and that they are working on doing an album of "Europa". I asked about the multi-layered rhythms of Latin music. Ed explained that each instrument is guided by a structured pattern called "patrones". This enables the rhythms to blend and become as one. Interesting. It was something I hadn't known before.

ATTENTION: All JAZZophiles, culturists and art lovers in general. We are in danger of losing our treasured Arts Garage. You can show your support for this wonderful venue on Tuesday, April 16th. (And, you can sign the petition if you are unable to attend.)

Supporters will meet at Arts Garage at 6:30 and walk one block to the City Council Hall. I cannot tell you how important it is to show support for this beloved, by audience and performers, venue is. I talked about being blessed. You will come a long way to having that in your life by being there on Tuesday evening. Thank you.

Got to my car to wend my way southward. Turned on the radio(91.3FM). JAZZ and then suddenly a mans voice. Had Tracy left me for another man? Forgot that the Real Tracy Fields is off on weekends. It'll be tough but I'll manage to make it to Monday. With His help, I hope.



Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment