Friday, April 19, 2013

"Seems Like Old Times---"


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/19/13



Dinner Dates and-------good pals. Friend Bill, although under severe marital and sometimes financial restraints manages to get out and about several times a week. Several are less than eight and more than two. 

Yesterday afternoon, I was awakened from a dream by a call from said friend Bill making me aware that Darryl Raines was appearing at a BLUES Jam at the Fish House in Kendall. I owed Angela and Jose a visit to thank them for their sponsorship of a Summer JAZZ camp program for local youngsters and this provided the perfect opportunity to kill(you know). The Fish House had been a regular on Flo and my calendar for as many years as we were in FL. Fresh seafood, friendly staff and BLUES made to order. Joining Bill and I were the colorful Capt. Bob and the lovely Australian import, Denise.

Darryl had Motel Mel on keys and vocals, George Caldwell(bass), Tyrone McCain(drums) and Michael?? on keyboard, Tenor sax, flugelhorn and vocals. (I wrote down his last name but can't decipher my writing.)
Michael ?? told me he had appeared, playing trumpet, on the Ted Mack Amateur Hour in 1963. Motel Mel is out of St. Louis which reconciles with his penchant for BLUES. He once saw Albert and B.B. King together at a joint called the Peppermint Lounge on the corner of Garrison & Hebert. What a night that must have been. Bill Clark was off to one side. He plays harp and congas and is a regular at the Fish House. The band played "Baby, Whatcha Gonna Do" in the rhythm style of Louis Jordan's "Early In The Morning" and followed with Eddie "Clean Head" Vinson's "Back Door BLUES". Sitting in for a couple of tunes were Norman and Jimmy, drums and bass respectively, from the band called "Bare Knuckles". Hugo, a guitarist, sat in also and did some impressive solos. Mel said they would do "Mustang Sally" so the percussionists could show their "chops". By this time a 'congero' named Mike Ramirez had set up and tuned his drums. It wasn't until the band played "Black Magic Woman" that Mike had a chance to "blow". Fast hands, original thought, a great smile and easy to talk to. He helped make the night complete. Mike also played a shaker called "Jicard" which he sometimes used as drum thumper. Ed Wolf did two on banjo. They were old time 'flapper day' songs and Bill, unfortunately knew all the words and so sang along. The aisles were too crowded for me to escape. Motel Mel also plays a human wind driven instrument called a Melodica. Basically an accordion played with air from your lungs. He claims they named it after him. If you believe that, I have this bridge---.

By the start of the 3d set there were only about a dozen or so folks in the audience. We were treated to an unforgettable guitar solo by Darryl on "A Rainy Night in Georgia". Solos like that are what inspires me to go out EVERY night to listen to JAZZ and BLUES. They are moments in a lifetime that can never be repeated. A talented musician, playing his heart out and baring his soul. I wish you could have all been there to hear it.

Auditions for the Summer Camp scholarships will be held at The Fish House this Sunday at 5PM. The public is invited to hear these youngsters perform.

Tracy, thank you for the easy listening, as it calmed my nerves on the detour ridden drive home. Tonight Aaron Lebos at Avenue D.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment