Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's important...to show up, get down, step out and settle in....


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/17/13


I felt it was important to be at a Town Hall meeting in support of Arts Garage. A decision was to be made concerning its future. A number of residents got up to voice their opinions and positions on the matter. There were 3 proposals to be considered and only 1 would insure the Garage's future. For the first time in my entire life I heard a political person, tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Mayor Cary Glickstein spoke in support of the Arts Garage. His presentation was filled with well researched economic and social data. I usually listen to politicos with an "Ah-ha" attitude. Not this time. The Mayor spoke with authority and solid knowledge of his subject. He had strong support from Deputy Vice Mayor, Shelly Petrolia. The council voted to preserve the life of this valuable cultural jewel.

And so having had as much politics as I could handle, I headed out. Bette and Joyce intercepted me at the door. The offer of "tapas" was hard to resist but I needed music. I hadn't been "out" since Sunday night and my ears ached for "The Sound of Music" and not from the Alps. BJB's is on my way home and "El Gato Fresco" aka Eddy Balzola with Oriente would be there. A beverage and a Caeser salad and some ritmo to dance to, that's what I needed. I was not to be denied. The band with William Paredes(trombone), Dony Felix(bass), Orlando Machado (drums) and Olalde Raymer(congas) were going full steam ahead. A good-looking couple came in right after me and sat nearby. Oscar & Toni. Toni was moving to the music and I asked Oscar if I could ask the lady to dance. Like a true Castilian Caballero he looked at Toni and she nodded her head in the affirmative. The lady can dance. In order to avoid the heart attack I felt coming I quit after the 4th chorus. Then Oscar got up with Toni as his partner. Smoooooooth. Cooooool. And very Latin. Eddy and Oriente will be at Arts Garage in May. Olalde's dad Ramon was visiting from Cuba and joined in on claves and percussion. While talking with Eddie he mentioned that Eddie and Charlie Palmieri appear together on YouTube doing a tune titled "Vamonos Pa'l Monte". As soon as I finish this, I am going to seek it out. 

Hi Tracy, nice of you to bring Melton Mustafa along, now Donald Byrd and in the final leg a young JAZZ artist, Grace Kelly. Soon to turn 21.  CU. Ira tonight at BJB's .  
       


 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

1 comment :

  1. Links to newspaper articles on the Council decision can be found here: http://jazz-bluesflorida.blogspot.com/2013/04/keep-arts-garage-in-its-home.html

    ReplyDelete