Saturday, April 20, 2013

Economics 1A (Or did Allen mean 'A1A'?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/20/13


It is a sad day, indeed, when the price of a gallon of gas becomes the determining factor in where and what I am going to listen to on any particular night. Last night was one of those sad days. There were several choices, all of them good, but, again time, distance and most of all money decided my evenings destination. I had to forgo Susnjar at Books and Books in Coral Gables for Hart at the Big Easy in Hollywood. Fortunately it was a treat. An assembled group of well known BLUES artists were on stage along with Nicole Hart. Walter Alum(drums), Mitch Mestel 'Iko-Iko'(bass), Famous Frank Ward of the Nuckle Busters (guitar/vocals) and the one and only Sonny "Boy" Williams on keys. Hanging out and enjoying the "sounds" were my pal, Dave(cat in the hat), Niles 'RedBean' Blaize and family, Joe(Otis Cadillac) and his wife Linda and Joey Gilmore. The band played all the BLUES faves including "The Thrill Is Gone", "It Wasn't Me" and " I've Got A Sweet Little Angel". Nicole is on of the "Seville Sisters" who sing with the Otis Cadillac show.

Mitch is a well respected bassist is starting in the studio next week to record a new CD. I asked him about the solo he wished he had played. With no hesitation, he said, "It's only 4 bars long with a fade-in and fade-out. Andy Summers with Police on the track "Driven To Tears". I followed with a question about lyrics. His response, with a short story, was "A political Blues" by Lowell George. The words were inspired by a response to a question once asked of Howling Wolf. Talking about lyrics, there was a line in one of Franks songs that caught me---"Nobody loves me but my mother------and she could be jiving me too".

Talking about mothers, mine always called me Sonny Boy, like Sonny Boy Williams. She continued with that, even after I was a grandfather. In her later years she would ask what my real name was. "Allen" I would reply. She would perk up and say "That's a coincidence, I have a son named Allen"---It's nice to be remembered! 
As I have said, I don't review recorded music because I am not a critic. The Real Tracy Fields was kind enough to let me know who the artist was on "Rhapsody In Blue" the other night. Eldar Djangirov. The album "Three Stories"  I-tunes $9.95.

If you run into Ira Sullivan, ask him about the CD titled "Ode".

It is for and about being a human being. Too much news going on so Tracy wasn't with me on the short ride home. Listen to you again on Monday night 91.3FM.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment