Thursday, April 18, 2013

And so it came to pass....


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/18/13

…that Wednesday night I was going to be sent back over a half a century to the late 40's, early 50's. The transportation was provided by an old-time be-bopper named Ira Sullivan. Both he and I go back to the times when 52nd St in New York and the Southside in Chicago were giving birth to a new form of JAZZ. A diminutive guy named PeeWee Marquette stood guard outside of Birdland making sure only the "hip" made it through the doors. Ira, along with host Danny Burger (drums), Brian '2brain' Murphy(piano) and guest Chuck Bergeron on bass opened with a bop standard "Olio". That started the trip.Enjoying the ride with me were a bunch of the gang that used to "hang" at Mrs. Murphy’s on Commercial on Sunday afternoons. Yale, Isabel, Stan, Ron, my buddy Bette and Mari were all on board. Ira stood up front playing tenor and soprano sax, trumpet and flugelhorn, flute and even the little percussion instrument "Cabasa".

Triplets and flatted fifths would fill the room with music. Mark Berner joined the group, doing a duet with Ira on "Desifinado". Just prior to playing that song, Ira in a deep and serious voice, let the audience know that "quiet can be a blessing". His admonishment silenced the chatter in the room and allowed the JAZZophiles among us the opportunity to hear the beautiful contra duet rendition. I guess when you get to be around as long as Ira and I(we share our birthday year) you are not ashamed to speak your mind. I say "Good for you, Ira".  They did Benny Golson's "Whisper Not" "Once I had A Secret Life", "Funny Valentine" John Lewis'"Afternoon in Paris" and "Softly" with Ira on soprano sax and an incredible solo by Chuck. Mr. Bergeron's facial expression while playing difficult riffs are amusing, to say the least. He showed me pictures of his 3 year old son, holding a toy trumpet and saxophone. Ira---watch out, the future is here.  In the middle of the 2nd set a guy walked in that sealed the trip into the past. A dead ringer for the young Rocky Marciano. Not the "Raging Bull" as portrayed be De Niro. The young Rocky I knew as a young man hanging out on Arthur Avenue, the Little Italy of the Bronx. His name is Charles and his heritage is Irish. He got the mug form the punches in the face his Dad delivered while training for his own boxing career.

Ira and Mark closed the evening with their traditional rendering of "Day By Day" from "Godspell" and the always inspiring "Amazing Grace". Which reminds me, I spoke with Turk Mauro and he s readying himself for performance soon.

The Real Tracy Fields(WLRN 91.3FM) greeted me with a piano solo of "Rhapsody in Blue" that left me breathless. I do not "review" recorded music because I don't know enough about production methods to be fair. It must be said that I found this particular recording to the most brilliant piano playing I have heard in my entire life. I did not catch the artists name but I will do the research and let you know.

May 1st, they will celebrate Ira's #^*+th birthday at BJB's.

‘Night y'all. 




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment