Saturday, April 27, 2013

Having a great time. Wish you...


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 4/27/13



…all were there with me. The evening starts with walking up to the spectacular architecture of the South Miami Dade Cultural Arts Center. It is an absolute "sight to behold". Tonight's performance by "The Hot Club of San Francisco" will be at what is affectionately called "The Black Box". It is a small, intimate room done all in black with café tables and also regular seats. The main concert hall seats 1,000 and has the best acoustics in south Florida. If you have never been, check the schedule for a performance you might enjoy and do it. You will have no regrets. Enough with the promotional spiel and on to the emotional review.

I use the word in its true sense. The Hot Club of San Francisco is a group dedicated to the sound and the music of the memorable Gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt and violinist Stephane Grappelli.

I have heard several of the "Hot Club" bands from around the U.S., none compare to this one.

If you read the bio's of band members, each is like the great American novel of accomplishments. In the words of Jack Sheldon----"What a band".

Paul Mehling (guitar/bass/etc.) founded the group and is as close as anyone can get in replicating the sound and emotion of Django. Evan Price (violin) is a virtuoso nonpareil. He has won every award, including Grammys, which it is possible to win. Clint Baker (bass/guitar/trumpet) is the essence of a JAZZ musician. Isabelle Fontaine (rhythm guitar/vocals) is French born with an innate sense of rhythm having played drums early in her career. Sam Rocha (rhythm guitar) is another award winning musical artist. While still in High School he led a band called "The Raisin Babies JAZZ Band" playing traditional New Orleans tunes.

When the band came on stage there were a couple of visuals that brought the "olden days" to mind. Isabelle, with a red scarf draped through her raven locks was definitely a gypsy temptress. Evan was sporting a pair of trousers that were right out of my teen years. Pleated, pegged and cuffed. I'm sure Stephane had pants just like them also.

They opened with a tune that was similar in melodic line to "Savoy" closing the number with Paul and Evan trading 4's while transitioning into "As Time Goes By". Seated at an adjacent table was a woman named Joan Wolf. Her late husband had been an admirer of Django's and had left her a massive collection of his records. After the opening number she remarked at how much they sounded like the "original". Sharing the table with Bill and I were Judy and Lenny. The couple had no idea what Gypsy JAZZ was all about but got "into it" immediately. Paul's solo on Django's 1936 "I'll See You In My Dreams" had caught the flavor of gypsy musical phrasing. Evan's violin transports you back in time to those exciting years of the late 30's when Swing and JAZZ were king. Every one of his awards were well deserved. Toward the end of the set everyone in the band switched instruments, comporting themselves well.

The 2nd set featured Clint Baker playing trumpet and still letting all the rest shine with their solos. They opened the set with C'est Si Bon", Isabelle doing the vocal and asking the audience to join in. Clint's trumpet said Louis Armstrong all the way. She followed with a sad French ballad and now Clint had a definitive Bunny Berigan flavor. They concluded with the band and audience jumping to "Bona Sera", the Louis Prima hit. Clint continued his artistry with a Prima-like screamer. This continues to be my favorite "fun song". After the performance I asked Evan the question about "the solo you wish you had played".

He thought about it long and hard. It is not an easy question for a very talented musician to answer. While he was thinking about it, Paul, who had overheard, asked if he could answer the same question. Of course.

By that time, Evan had made his mind up. "My Sweet" performed by Stephane Grappelli. Paul's answer was the cadenza by Louis Armstrong on "West End Blues".  I enjoyed every single minute and thank Eric and all the staff at SMDCAC for the spectacular job they do in "booking" great performers for this wonderful venue. Before leaving I ran into Elaine (African Odyssey Travel) with her friend(whatever his name is) they were continuing on  up to the Titanic where Darrel Raines was playing. ==an aside==When I am talking to Elaine, I couldn't care less about who she is with and what his name might be.

On to the Titanic. At the bar is Capt. Bob, who seems to bounce as good as me. On stage, Darrell Raines, George Caldwell (bass) and old pal Raul Hernandez (drums). When you want to listen to BLUES you can't find a better combo. What can I say about these guys that I haven't said before? Raul wears a chain around his neck on which hangs a Crucifix set on a Mogen David (Jewish Star). During the Korean War era, when my "crew" and I were either being drafted or enlisting, we all "chipped in" whenever a "report" date came about to buy each other a similar piece of jewelry. It is a constant reminder that we are all His children.

Tonight Rita's birthday celebration a t BJB's
 
*EDITOR’S NOTE* The Hot Club of San Francisco appears at SMDCAC again tonight, Saturday, April 27, 2013, for two shows. One at 8:30 and another at 10:30.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~
Traveling to catch some of Florida's good music? Check out these places and rates!
Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com
 ~ ~ ~

Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida 
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com/ to sign up to have 
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com
And, if you like what you see here, HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

No comments :

Post a Comment