Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"They call it...(No matter what they call it, we know it is Allen Kanovsky's night out!)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/20/14

...stormy Monday". Not anymore. From now on in South Florida it will be "Live JAZZ & BLUES Monday".

We will have the BLUES Jam at The Funky Biscuit (you can catch part of last's night jam in the boss' blog HERE (he doesn't write as good as I, but his photos are better!)) in Boca Raton and the Miami JAZZ Co-op's Rent Party at the Open Stage in Coral Gables. The MJC kick-started their program last night with Wendy Pedersen as the hostess. Her rhythm section had Jim (the Genius) Gasior at the keyboard with Eric England on the upright bass and Rudolfo Zuniga at the kit. 

The trio opened with "Sweet Georgia Brown". They played the tune and covered all the genres of the JAZZ world during it. At one point I lost track and asked Wendy what song were they playing. "It's still "Sweet Georgia Brown" was her answer. Extemporaneous improvisation is the key to good JAZZ and they proved it. 

I was the volunteer at the door collecting the $10 Rent Party cover. Rent parties were a phenom of the early 30's when families would throw a party and have a milk bottle (Yes, that was when milk was delivered in glass bottles to your door) at the door for contributions. They played records (78 rpm wax) and folks would 'cut a rug'. The Rent Party is now a weekly event to be continued excepting Nov. 10.

Wendy took the stage to do "Cry Me A River". Ms.Pederson is a JAZZ vocalist in the true essence of the word. Creative, imaginative and emotional. Whenever Jim accompanies her you will hear something special. Other musicians including Max Faber, Brian Lynch, Gary Keller, Manny Echachabal, Keana Uribari, Jamie Ousley and his fiancee Nanami Irakawa started to filter in. The Jam was starting to show real promise. Wendy continued with "Cocovado" and a swinging "Devil Moon" during which Rudolfo delivered a dynamite solo. Manny(alto sax) steps up on stage and the 'bop' a ballad. Brian (trumpet) and Gary (tenor sax) join in and everyone there is glad they came. They conclude the set with a reggae rhythmed tune and 'the joint is jumping'. 

The Open Stage is a good looking venue and has great acoustics and sound system. The choral group known as the 'MJC Voices' led by Larry Lapin now comes up. The chorus members include six of the distaff gender, Shari-Lee Gregory, Michelle Guerra, Tatiana Moss, Taylor Powell, Rachel Quereveld and Stefanie Sagaro. The 4 male members are Jon Anderson, Daniel Barrios, Kian Fan and the only grey-haired person on stage Mr. Alberto Fernandez. They open with Jobim's "No More Blues". They immediately put me on the street in Rio during the Carnevale. During the tune Stefanie and Alberto took turns at some scat vocalizing. The chorus continued with "The More I See You" and ended with an exciting rendition of "'deed I Do". Wendy returns with  Jamie stepping in on bass. I am distracted for a moment, collecting the 'rent' and don't catch the tune but come back in time to catch Jamie's exceptional solo on "All The Things You Are". Taylor Powell, a chorus member takes the stage to do a solo "Blame It On My Youth". It is a challenging tune and Taylor does it without a hitch. Max Faber joins in on piano and they do Thelonious composition "Well You Needn't". I am back in Bop City circa 1956. I think Rudolfo is there with me 'cause his solo is still ringing in my ears. Stefanie Sagaro, another chorus member now sings "Alone Together" and totally captures me. Keanu Bari is a 'young man with a horn'. Baritone sax to be specific. He joins in and the do a swinging, swanging, swunging "Sista Sadie". My comment is WOW!. 

Some of my pals including Elaine, Bill and Deborah were there to enjoy as well. I chat with Jamie and Eric for a moment. They are talking 'shop'. Upright, electric, 6 string etc. 

I head out. Press the on button for the radio. 93.1 FM. The Real Tracy Fields. Monday night is her 'locals' night. I catch the closing notes of Jamie Ousley's "Tennessee Waltz". Coincidence, fate or just another of His blessings. As Tracy says "Peace, Love and JAZZ".  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment