Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I would need to consult...(Allen Kanovsky takes in Blue Tuesday( re-)Opening Night)



Submitted by Al Kanovsky 10/08/14
...my thesaurus to find enough superlatives to describe last night at Blue Tuesday at Boston's on the Beach in Delray Beach. 
The home to Blue Tuesday. 

L-R: Al and Famous Frank
It was also a reunion for the Musicians Exchange and the season premier of Famous Frank Ward's presentations of Blue Tuesday. Every BLUES musician who was in town was there, and other music makers of all sorts. Many to perform. Many to listen and enjoy. Even Charlie Boyer (JAZZBLUESFlorida.com) traveled from Gainesville to be here. He had his buddy Frank with him. Jimmy Belize and Nancy joined us and about 140 others to reap the musical benefits. Let it suffice to say it was a BLAST. Tom Perry will testify to that!

First, let me apologize to any musician who was there whose name I don't mention. Totally Mia culpa. The first act was a quartet that I had never heard before. When their names were announced, the speaker swallowed the mic and so------I think I caught Syracuse Steve (gtr) and Ira Holzman??? (drums). Their tunes included Big Joe Turner's Honey Hush (You Keep On Yakkin / "HiYO Silver) and "I Hear You Knock, Knock, Knock". 

Motel Mel and band was next. He opened with "Dead Presidents". Guitar, drums, sax/flute and I couldn't get one name' Sorry!!!. Mel knows every BLUES song in the book and the 'rock' list as well. A little boogie-woogie and closing with "Great Balls of Fire". Next up
L-R: Sheldon Voss, BonefishJohnny, Tim Kuchta,
David Shelley, Piano Bob
was Dave Shelly (guitar/vocals) with Bonefish Johnny (guitar/vocals), Jerry Mascaro (keys) and I didn't get the rest. They opened with a 2d line tune and then did 'There Ain't No Such Thing"(Just One Drink). Piano Bob moves in on keys and they do a boogie-woogie tune that dates back to the 30's. "Beat Me Daddy 8 to the Bar". If you can get hold of the recording by the Ray McKinley Band you will know why 'boogie' was so popular in its time. The audience pleads for one more and Dave does Howlin' Wolf's "My Baby Caught A Train". Among the listeners are J.L. Fulks, BLUESBobby, Randy Bernsen, Jerry Blum, Tony Messola, Marc Telesca and Manon.

L-R: Good ol' Whatshisname, Bobby Nathan,
JoAnne Nathan, JP Soars)
Motel Mel returns to the keyboard with Bobby Nathan (guitar), Pat Ward (bass) and Mary Washington Brooks (vocals). Mary's voice overcomes the chatter in the room when she does "I Will Call", Have Your Way With Me" and "I Don't Want To Know". Her last tune, I believe, is called "Please Don't Take My Mine". 

The excitement continues to grow with Joey Gilmore taking the stage with Nicole Yarling (violin/vocals), Pat Ward (bass), 'One Night' Stan (tenor sax), Ken
L-R: Pat Ward, Nicole Yarling, Jeff Renza(hidden), Joey Gilmore,
Ken Burhardt, One Night Stan, and the guy that won the guitar!)
Burkhart (keys) and Jeff Renza (drums). "Show Me What Is Wrong With Me" and Joey has the audience in his grasp. It isn't loosened with Nicole's first violin solo.Stan starts tearing down the walls, Ken adds dimension and Joey's vocal tells the whole story. 

I turn to Jimmy and say "and that's the BLUES". Jimmy says it would make a great album title. We mention it to Jerry Blum (Mosher St. Records). 

Joey and the band do three more including "I Need Your Loving Every Day". It is 'something else' when Nicole on violin and Joey on guitar play give and take, trading solos, phrases et al. Capt. Reese Singleton and James Kidwell take the stage with JP Soars and Jeff Renza. Reese sings "Going Back Down To
L-R: Capt. Reese, JP Soars, James Kidwell
Memphis" and JP keeps the 'vibe' going with "Same Thing Make A Tom Cat Cry All Night) and "I Should've Been Gone". Capt. Reese and the band close it down with "I Went Down To the Crossroads". Jimmy and I are planning a 'pilgrimage' later this year. 

G'night and Thanks to all, players and listeners alike. 

Turn on the key and punch the radio. Hello Ms. Fields (The Real Tracy) WLRN 93.1FM. She has John Coltrane with her. BLUES, JAZZ, Good Friends. Thank you LORD!!!  











































Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment