Thursday, August 14, 2014

"We Are Family" (And they say talent runs in families, right Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/14/14

...and family they are. I am writing about the Orta's. Last night at BJB's Debbie Orta celebrated the release of her new CD "Child's Play" which features many of her original compositions. The rhythm section had Debbie's husband Nicky on bass, her brother-in-law Mike at the piano and their adopted cousin Danny Burger-Orta at the kit. 

The usual suspects were in the audience plus notables like Lisanne Lyons, Mari Bell, Paul Shewchuck, Howard (Jaui) David Schneider, Lindsay Blair and Jerry Mosconi. Mike and Nicky's Mom was there with Debbie's daughter, Angelica. They were in charge of CD sales and did a great job. A pleasant surprise was Bill's daughter-in-law, Gabriela. She is a native of Argentina and knows her JAZZ. 


Debbie opened with "You Make Me Feel So Good". The tune and Mike's solo set the mood for the night. We all were feeling good. Especially me. Three of my favorite dance partners were in the house. Denise & Jackie and Mike's girl friend LuzMarina. Debbie goes sultry with "Peel Me A Grape". It gives her the opportunity to show her JAZZ 'chops'. A little 'bossa nova' is the rhythm for "So Many Stars". It ain't spring but it was swing with "East Of the Sun". Luz and I cut a little rug. Debbie pays tribute to 'Ella" singing "I've Got A right To Sing the BLUES". She takes a break and the trio impresses us with their solos on the tune titled "Intermission". From Ella to Billie, Debbie now sings "Crazy In Love With You". Romance is in the air when Debbie intones "Dancing Cheek To Cheek". Denise and I do. Dance cheek to cheek, I mean. That girl can 'follow'. And she feels good to hold close, too. "I Get A Kick Out Of You" with Mike and Nicky really 'showing off'. The set ends with "Everyday" which has everybody clappin' tappin' and shakin' one thing or another. 


The 2d set has Carlomagn(ifico)o Araya at drums and Eddy Maina playing tenor, alto and flute. Danny and Mike complete the band. Carlo and Eddy are on the "Child's Play" CD. The set opens with Debbie doing a little jump BLUES with the opening line "My name is Deborah, I was born in a lions den". I take it to mean there is danger in every curve. Danny shows he is the 'brush master' when Debbie sings "Angel Eyes". From the new CD she sings "Taking A Chance On Love" which includes a nice scat section. "Bossa Nova Song" was written by Mike Levine with Debbie contributing the lyric. Eddy takes up the flute to give it that Brazilian feel. "I'm Through With Love" and Ms. Jackie is dancing with me. Or vice-versa. "You're Mine, You" is another very pretty love song and Debbie does it justice. Debbie wrote "You Are My Child" which has an interesting lyric and intricate melodic line. Unfortunately, it is not a tune for a club setting. More to be enjoyed in a quieter setting. It is followed with a song whose title is beyond definition. "Jericoacoara". Extensive research is called for. Jaui (Howard) and Debbie collaborated on the title tune "Child's Play". Jaui knows melody. Debbie knows lyrics. Both are on display in this song. Debbie follows with "Make Someone Happy" and then Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now". Jaui gives Mike a break on piano and Debbie does "I'm Old Fashioned". I'm taking a risk with this revelation but I must confess that I danced with one or another of the beautiful dance partners but I forgot to make a note of it. Lindsay Blair joins in on guitar to do "Love Me Or Leave Me" and that may be the story of my trio of terpischorean pals.



When Sonny Gets Blue" and I write Denise name on the dance card. Did you ever hear "In A Sentimental Mood" done in a peppy Samba beat. "WOW". Mike kicks Jaui out of the way when Debbie does Cole Porter's "So Nice To Come Home To". It's Luz's option and we dance to "Every Time We Say Goodbye". I got involved in saying goodnight to some folks and missed a tune or two. I did not miss the final tune, "What Is This Thing Called Love" again with a rousing scat section. 


Thanks for the music and "Good Luck" with the new CD. By the way, Debbie and Nicky's daughter Angelica, did a great promotion job, selling more CD's in one night than I've ever seen before.





Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment