Sunday, August 10, 2014

"Band On The Run"? (And Allen Kanovksy is probably chasing the bus!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/10/14

No. But it is a band on the road. Seven weeks on the road is a long time. Especially if you're living on a bus. 

It didn't affect the enthusiasm of the Andy T/Nick Nixon band Saturday night at The Funky Biscuit. Along with Andy (guitar) and Nick (guitar/vocals) are Sam Persons(bass guitar), Larry Van Loon (keys/b3/vocals) and Jim Klingler on a 3 cymbal drum kit. They are on a CD Release tour and will wind it up at the Bradfordville BLUES Club this coming week. The band is out of Nashville but the members are from all over the place including Holland. Shuffle, boogie and jump rhytyhms filled the room with sound and guys and gals responded by getting up to dance. Even Jimmy Belize and Nancy were on the floor a couple of times. Nick Nixon has been in the game for a while and has written any number of songs. Up until now, most have not been recorded. This is the bands 2d album and most of the tunes are Nick's compositions. They played a lot of them last night including "Throw Myself In The River", "Baby Right Now", "My Baby Is Gone", "Snake In the Grass", "Love At First Sight" and "No End To the Blues" written with Scotty Moore. Hang around Nashville for even a little bit and just like 'clave' with Latin musicians, BLUES invades your very being in. This band is a BLUES band. Through and through. A little New Orleans influence, a bit of Chicago and the Crossroads but BLUES all the way. Andy T was the one who got Nick up off his old butt to form this band and delight audiences all around the country. Nick's compositions are fun to listen to especially when done by Nick himself. The paid homage to B.B. King("The Thrill Is Gone"), Curtis Mayfield ("There's A Train a'Comin") and Ray Charles ("I Can't Stop Loving You"). Talking about fun, Andy T wrote a tune titled "Have You Seen My Monkey". He wrote it while in the shower. Draw your own conclusions. When they played "Drink, Drank, Drunk" Al Poliak joined them on B3. "Midnight Hour" had Nick on harp and a great solo by Larry on the B3.  A moment to reflect on the truth of BLUES lyrics-----"I gave you all my love, all my money too. What more can a poor man do" How often has a guy said that to himself?------"Life is too short to worry. Life is too short to sit and cry".-----"Just climb on board. You don't need a ticket. You just have to praise the Lord". Truer words have never been said. Other titles and Nick compositions that were enjoyed by the folks at the Biscuit included "First To Walk In, Last to leave", "High Heeled Sneakers" and "Meet Me With Your Black Drawers On". 

I wanted the evening to go "On & On, On & On' but all good things come to------the last song they did was "I Can't Stop Loving You"--one of the lines, "the happy hours we once knew" Memories,memories,memories--------  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment