Thursday, August 21, 2014

It is a very simple ...(...at The Fish House and that is the way Allen Kanovsky likes to keep it!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/021/14


...sign on the outside of a non-descript strip center on Miller Rd. in Kendall. The sign reads "Fish House" and the face of the store front is a mural of a tropical beach. Walk through the door and you face a small dining room. Turn to your right and you pass a refrigerated case loaded with FRESH seafood. A few steps further and there is a smaller dining area with booths. And then you hit it. A New Orleans inspired room, replete with balcony and Mardi Gras masks. A stage, amps, speakers and probably the most talented BLUES and JAZZ musicians in S. Florida appearing on a weekly basis. JAZZ on Wednesday, BLUES on Thursday, eclectic on Saturdays. They are planning a reggae night on September 2nd.


I joined Bill, Georgine, new friend Jim and Elaine at an up-front table. Taking the stage was Mark Small (tenor sax), Aaron Lebos (guitar), Gary Thomas (bass) and Arvel Akundi on drums. They hadn't yet played a note but I anticipated a notable night. I was right. From the first bar of "So Nice To Come Home To" to the last Jammed notes of a Charlie Parker composition. Just great listening. After taking solo turns and trading 8's with Arvel they played a Benny Golson tune, "Stable Mates". Mark, a recent Doctorate degree recipient, plays a memorable solo and Aaron takes off in to space. Arvel picks up on Aaron's vibe and continues the galactic journey. This trip is enhanced when the play "Peace" with a super mellow Mark solo followed by Gary's Five* solo. It doesn't take long for be-bop to come home. First "Confirmation" and then Tadd Dameron's "Good Bait" to end the set. The 2d set starts with the quartet with an unnamed tune. Aaron is unstoppable and Arvel takes a 2+ chorus solo. The Jam is on with Miss Kelly Gonzalez (trumpet), Ben Suarez (guitar) and Andy Stermer on drums. Mark and Gary stay with them. Most notable was Andy's brush work at the kit. Now Ian Munoz (alto/12 yrs. old), Zachary Auslander (guitar/off to Berklee tomorrow) join in to do "Record A Me". I think that Zach enjoys playing as much as I do listening. A young lady, Meraises Miranda, takes the stage to sing "Summertime" accompanied by guitarist Chris Kuo. Meraises is in the early stages of her future as a JAZZ vocalist and is headed in the right direction. One of my favorite compositions is Thelonius' "Blue Monk". The band does it full justice, Kelly as the first soloist with Ian Munoz, now playing 'soprano', followed with inspired solos by Mark, Aaron, Gary and Arvel to conclude the set.

The evening will come to an end with a couple of songs. The first has Ben on guitar, Andy on drums, Mark and Gary playing "Sunny Side of the Street" . Zach joins in for the next song and then Chris shows off his 'chops' on "I Remember You". They top the nite off with a Parker tune and I am now totally sated. I had consumed 1 lb. of mussel fra diavolo, 1/2 loaf of bread and 2 HopHead Reds.

Arvel had worn a pair of long cut-offs and Zach cammy shorts. I admonished them letting them know that shorts are not "stage performance" wear. I had noticed that Mark stared, unblinking. at a space somewhere in front of him when playing. Almost as if he was reading the music. When asked about it he told me about early staring habits starting with the top stop of the tenor, then closing his eyes (didn't work) then picking an audience member (made them uncomfortable) and finally picking a space somewhere out in front of him. As far as reading it, he said "Well--------".

Tonight JAZZiz Nightlife in Boca to placate my desire for clave. Nestor Torres.  pok  pokpok  pokpok.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment