Thursday, August 28, 2014

Truly romantic moments come...(And Allen Kanovsky is there to observe...)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/28/14

...far and few between. Picture this---- late night on 33rd Street, Maria Rivas on stage with Danny Burger (drums), Brian Murphy (piano) and Jaimie Ousley on bass. Maria is singing a Joabim Bossa. There are a few couples up and dancing. All of a sudden, a young man, drops to one knee offering a ring box to a young lady. She is Kelly from Wisconsin. He is Francisco from Peru. Kelly stands shock still for a moment and then bends to hug Francisco, still down on one knee. I'll take that as a YES! Mix that with the emotional performance, on every level, by Maria and it turns out to be an exceptional night for all. 

My pal, Dr. Jules had met a young couple, Adiam & Koshai at the Aventura Mall and invited them to listen to Maria. They were born in Germay but their parents are from Eritrea. The couple loves JAZZ. Maria opens the evening with "As Time Goes By". Her South American accent adds charm to the lyric. The tempo picks up and Maria breaks out into a full-scale, dynamic scat vocal. This will set the tone for the rest of the night. Jimmy & Nancy, Isabel and brother Jim, Stan, Bill & James and my favorite dance partners Jackie and Denise are in the house anxious to hear Maria and her new found vocal strength. "How High the Moon" continues with smooth scat lines and a Danny Burger solo. A little more bop with Dizzy's "Night In Tunisia". Along with the scat portion, the lyric sung in Espanol. I am pleasantly surprised when Mari dedicates the next tune to me and herself, "Lush Life". The last line of the song "and there I'll rot with the rest of those whose lives are lonely too". Hey, I may rot in some small dive, but, I'll never be lonely thanks to all my warm, wonderful friends--and JAZZ, BLUES & BOOKS. Maria takes a break and the trio does an instrumental "Woody & You". Maria returns with a lively Joabim Samba. Jackie and Denise dance together showing off a lot of --- shaking. I swallow a blood pressure pill.  The count off is rat-tat-tat-tat and Maria sings a rapid paced "I Got Rhythm" which included a 5* scat solo. Denise is up dancing some Charleston steps which Maria follows on stage. Danny steps up and, man o' man, you've never heard drumming like that. Martine & Jacques (the DANCE couple) arrive in time for the start of the 2d set. Maria opens with her very own version of "Besame Mucho" and the latin rhythm has me dancing with Denise , holding her real close at times. (what am I thinking?) "Bei Mir Bist Du Schain" with a Latinas accent has me and Jackie doing a little "Lindy". We are joined on the floor by Martine & Jacques. 

Maria invites a countrywoman to the stage. Her name is Elisa Rego. Elisa is tall, blond and very attractive. Additinally she can SING. They do "Summertime", slowly to start but picking up and into a scat fest. It is a visual(Maria 5'2 and Elisa 6'--A Latina and a Scandinavian) and audible delight. Martine & Jacques show off some of their unique dance steps. A romantic ballad in Spanish has Denise & I doing it again. Closer & tighter. Things get hotter(the music I mean) when Maria does "It Don't Mean a Thing". Up-tempo, swinging and jiving. Danny's solo is amazing. Stan Jackson would say "It knocked my sox off". I put it simply as WOW!!!. An instrumental version of "Emily" gives a chance to cool off or cool down. Lucy & Mike Murk come in in time to hear Maria sing "We'll Be Together Again". Once more the accent adds charm. "My Funny Valentine" and "Beginning To See the Light" and then the Bossa Nova during which Francisco proposed to Kelly. Hannah & her husband are in the house. They are not here to play but to listen and enjoy.. The last set and Maria sings "Swing Con Song" which has Paul Shewchuck up and dancing almost as if he knew what he is doing. The gal he was dancing with knew what she was doing, laughing all the way. A beautifully sung "Skylark" and the an improvised "Salsa" number ends the evening. While saying goodnight, Maria tells me that she and Elisa may do a project together. I think it's a wonderful idea. Hannah's husband has given her some home-grown fruits. Maria hands me a tiny nut-like fruit and demonstrates how to eat it. It is a 'manon' and very tasty. She explains that the word 'manon' is used in every way from expletive to explicit love. Heck of a fruit if you ask me. As they say South of the Border----Hasta Manana"

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment