Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I am proud of...(And we all know what comes after pride, Allen Kanovsky! But, we are sure someone at The Funky Biscuit will pick you up!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/12/14

...my communication skills. Whether verbal or written. I can even use Morse code at about 60 words a minute. But, I am at a loss to describe to you all the great BLUES musicians I listened to last night at The Funky Biscuit. 

I was not alone. Mark Telesca (bass guitar/vocals) hosted the jam and opened with Robert Allen Gibbs (guitar/slide) and Antony on drums. The audience was replete with BLUES musicians who would, later on, participate in the Jam. The trio did BLUES standards including "Stand My Ground", "Where the Sun Crosses the Dawn" and "Going Down To the Crossroads". 

Al Poliak announced that it was Brittany's birthday and we all joined in the song. Drew Preston(guitar) and Colin James (B3) join the trio to do "Don't Know Where I'd Be" and then a Jimi Hendrix tune, "She's Walking Through A Cloud". Al has joined in on B3 with Colin moving to the keyboard.. All conversation in the room is stifled by the performance we are experiencing. J.L. Fulks(guitar/vocals) takes the stage with Kenny Burgner (bass) and Chuck Fiore Jr. on drums and Colin returning to the B3. J.L plays and sings his composition "Going Back To Memphis" to a nice 'shuffle' beat. Colin and J.L.'s solos deserve 5 star ratings. They do "Call It What You Want" and everyone in the joint is having fun with the music. They play "If You Want It' and then Dianne DeNoble is on stage to do a swinging "Rte 66". Following Dianne is Montress the Soul Singer. Chuck Fiore Sr. takes over on bass. Bam-Bam (drums) and Tom Miller on B3. He opts for "The Thrill Is Gone". Dynamic to say the least with a great J.L. Fulks solo. If possible, it seems J.L. gets betterer and betterer with each performance. Now it's Stan (the Man) doing "On the Dock Of the Bay". Bob Grabau joins the group when Tom Willis gets up to sing "Ain't Gonna Worry My Life Anymore" Drew Preston has rejoined the group and both he and Bob deliver outstanding solos. Tom continues with"Everyday". Tom Malloy is now playing the B3 and David Brian is on guitar with Roland on bass. Nancy and Jimmy can't stay seated and are up dancing during Bob G's solo. The thrill is definitely not gone as Billy Burns joins in to play harp and sing "Everything I Do Is wrong". 

Now I'm up and 'doing it' with the enchanting Jackie Deering. We are joined by Jimmy and Nancy. "The band does "I'm Sweet On You Baby" --- oh! if I was 20 years younger and Jackie was 10 years older how many dances would we share. Shea Eischen (drums) and Liz Bennet are now on stage to do "Love Me Like a Man" and BluesBobby helps out on harp. They all do "Chain of Fools". A beautiful woman, Valerie, joins in playing a swinging flute to introduce "Moon Dance". Pat Ward (Franks son) is now playing bass having done double duty as sound engineer. Then they all do "I Just Don't Know". Jack Jackson comes up. He is wearing a Peter Max print frock and silvery high heels. "Hootchie Kootchie Man" has us all tappin' and clappin'. He closes the show and ends the evening of wonderful BLUES with "Bring It Home To Me". If I left anyone's name out, it is definitely my dismal fault. I am sure Jerry, (Mosher St. Records) will let me know about it next time. Thanks to all who played and again HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRITTANY!!!!! 

By the way Jimmy Belize is responsible for that picture of me at the top. Don't think that a camera can't lie... And Paul Gettleman is responsible for this one:
  

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment