Sunday, August 3, 2014

"Sometimes I wonder why I"...(Well, I guess you get five points for living a reflective life, Allen Kanovsky!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/03/14

...go out as often as I do to listen to live music. The first 5 words are a quote from Hoagy Carmichaels unforgetable hit "Stardust", the rest of the sentence is mine. Last night was a prime example of my wonderment. There were good choices. Eddy Balzola's ORIENTE at Le Chat Noir, Otis Cadillac at Maguire's Hill 16 and a band I had never listened to, The Miami JAZZ  Force, at the Open Stage. Here? There? Only the Real Tracy Fields can be in more than one place at one time. The choice became the Open Stage.

I arrived to see Jeannette Pina already seated at one of the hi-top tables. Alongside was owner, Juan Del Torres who was doubling as the sound engineer for the evening. We chatted for a while and discussed the hope that the MJC might establish their "Rent Party" at this location. The band has Joe Paz (saxes/flute) as their leader with Danny Barosa (keyboard), David Castro (drums), Danny Garcia (bass) and Anthony Martinez (guitar). These are all young 'cats' with Joe being a recent graduate of U.M. The band opened with "Oye Com0 Va" and attributed it to Santana. The generation gap reared its ugly head because my initial thought was Tito Puente. 

Joe displayed his versatility when he played both flute and soprano during their rendition of "All theThings You Are". A really lovely interpretation of "The One And Only You" was followed by an original they call "Star Jam" which was inspired by a 'Mario" game. It gave each band member the opportunity to "show-off" a little, especially David at the kit. The set ended with brazen solos by each playing "The Chicken".  During the break Jeannette and I were joined by a woman I had never met before. She is the vocalist, Von Henry. Hey, you want to talk about JAZZ & BLUES. Talk to Von. The 2d set was announced as being a Jam.

Several other young musicians took the stage. The introductions were to quick for me to get names but I thought I would get them later on. They didn't "Name That Tune" so I was at a loss for titles of obscure melodies. They played "AfroBlue" at a tempo that had my eyelids closing and followed with "Blue Bossa" in the same metre only latinized. 

I was about to leave when Ms. Von Henry took the stage to sing "Autumn Leaves". The gal is a JAZZ singer and made me glad I was there to hear her sing. 

I liked the band "Miami JAZZ Force". I was disappointed in the Jam. Again, I am not a critic and don't have enough formal knowledge of music to be a critic. Listening to music is not an objective art. It is very subjective and dependent on a myriad of factors. I am sure someday I'll wonder at the playing of some of the youngsters who played at this Jam. 


Denise Shuster (one of my de-luxe dance partners) celebrates a birthday tonight (Sunday) at Blue Jeans Blues. Anthony Corrados Jam early and Latin beats later. C.U.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment