Monday, August 18, 2014

Satisfied! Salsified! (Allen Kanovsky speaks Miami-ese!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 08/18/14

...and dancing my butt off. Is it a Latin invasion of the music market in South Florida? Maybe the awakening of the clave rhythm that lies in each of our Almas (souls)? Either way it is great fun and even better exrcise, not discounting a wonderful way to meet people. Last night started for me at Arts Garage in Delray Beach. 

The band of Cuban expatriates is Tiempo Libre. Each and every member emigrated from Cuba and are now American citizens. Jorge Gomez is the pianist and band director. With him are Xavier Mili (vocals/audience exciter),Wilvi Rodriguez Guerra (bass), Luis Beltran Castillo (Sax/flute), Leonardo Gonzalez (congas), Raul Rodriguez (trumpet) and Israel Morales Figueroa at the drum kit. I miscalculated the show time and so arrived as they were ending the first set. The rhythm was infectious and there were lots of folks up and dancing. Directly in front of me, shaking this and that, was a tall blond young lady. (you know me, tall, blond and young). I joined her in the parts shaking and she smiled. Maybe I'll try being late again. It was a full house and I couldn't get to my table and the young lady, Christy Fabel, invited me to join her, her Mom, Cheryl, and guy pal Jorge Cerdona. Jorge let me know that Christy was 'taken'. He and I were laughing at the term 'taken' because like movie seats, that means "for the moment" or until the end of the movie. During the break I spoke with Jorge Gomez about the band and wondered if they had a play list for the second set. He smiled and replied, saying that they play off audience reaction and wing it as far as what to play next. A unique approach. The 2d set had it all, bolero, guaguancoa, son, cha-cha, salsa and ending with a rhythm seldom heard anymore---conga. 

Christy danced, Jorge Danced, Cheryl danced, I danced. Almost everyone in the audience danced. Heck of a nite, ending all to soon and leaving me wanting a lot more of this exciting band. Early enough to catch 2 sets at BJB's where Jessi Campo had her band (at last) for BJB's ongoing Latin Sundays. 

With Jessi were cousins Jose Velasquez (bass) and Ivan Velasquez (drums). Manuel Gomez at piano and in the tradition of very good latin trumpeters Carlos Puig. Jessi's program went from salsa to latin pop. Lots of American standards done to Latin rhythms and straight ahead JAZZ. She sang selections from her latest CD which has been nominated for Grammy Awards in 3 different categories. It was late in the evening when I finally became brave enough to dance with another tall, blond and young hip whirler. Ian Caven(TheEmcee) was there shooting pix and he congratulated my on my heroic action. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the wonderful solos by Manuel Gomez (piano) and Carlos Puig (trumpet). The Latin Invasion continues with JAZZiz announcing an ongoing Thursday Latin Nite, starting this week with Nestor Torres. I seldom decide destinations in advance but I will be there (G-d willing) on Thursday. BJB's will continue with their Sunday Latin and I am sure that Arts Garage will do something as well. In closing I would like to thank and remember Tito Puente, Cachao, Celia Cruz, Beny More, the Morales Brothers, and the owners/promoters at The Palladium in New York for bringing this great music to us.

Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?"       


 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just email me at Charlie@JazzBluesFlorida.com to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!
Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals ?
We have the most complete listing of Florida jazz & blues performances at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/MusicListings.htm ?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog ?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links ?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment