Monday, June 15, 2015

The music was...(Allen Kanvosky checks in and checks out the new JAZZ hang in FLL - Studio 619)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/14/15

...JAZZ and the club was retro. The band is ORIENTE w/ Eddy Balzola(guitar), Dany Felix(bass) and Rey Monroig(drums). The club, Studio 619 on Ft. Lauderdale beach. Hanging with me were Denise, Jimmy and Nancy. 

We enjoyed some adult beverages with fish and chips on the side. The music was straight ahead JAZZ but you cannot take clave out of musicians whose backgrounds are Caribbean Islands.Dony is from Haiti. Rey and Eddy are of Cuban heritage. The room is straight ahead retro. Were you old enough to drink(legally) in 1957? Have you ever heard of Sputnik? Studio 619 puts you in the 'tony' JAZZ clubs of the late 50's, early 60's. Comfortable seating, soft lights and good sight lines to the band. The lighting fixtures are reminders of the first ventures in to space. Holly Spillane was there with her and Eddy's grandson.

The first melody I heard them play last night was "Softly". Hey. if you need a tune to put you in easy mode, this is it. Beautifully done in a nice swing tempo. It was followed by Spike Lee's "Mo Betta Blues". A little latin beat, like lime in a Corona. If you are gonna play JAZZ you have to go to New Orleans once in a while. The trio did it with "On Mardi Gras Day" that morphed into a boppish "Exodus". They played Gil Scott Heron's tribute to John Coltrane and Billie Holiday. Rey's drum solo was one of the reasons I am so deeply in love with JAZZ. They closed the set with remembering B.B. King and his "How Blue Can You Get". Opening the next set with "Tenderly" it gave Dony a chance to show off and for me to dance with Denise. Then, all alone on the stand, Eddy did "Higher Ground" the rest joined in as it went to "Afro Blue" with Eddy doing some lyrics in Uriban(I think). Can you perform in a club on a Florida beach and not do "Sitting On The Dock"? Eddy made amends by playing a song I think was titled "Anisona". Names don't count when the music is this good. Then in full retro mode they played "You Go To My Head" followed by "Someday My Prince Will Come". I think I danced with Ms. Denise again. The short last set started with Stevie Wonder's "What's Going On". Eddy, Dony and Rey took turns doing wonderful solos. "Anacaona" is a song written by Cheo Feliciano(Jose) who unfortunately died in an automobile accident a while back. He was an exceptional musician and composer who added much to the world of music. Eddy did a 'lip' trombone solo which did sound a lot like it was the brass instrument. Eddy and Holly's grandson was fast asleep on a lounge. I remember him doing that on another occasion. 

I enjoyed the ambiance of the room, the company and most of all the music. Thank you Eddy, Dony and Rey. 


Hey guys and gals, I know I mess up some song titles and musicians names so please forgive me. It is only in the last few days that I have come to  realize that I am not "perfect". I was informed of that fact by my 'primary physician'.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment