Saturday, June 20, 2015

On select Fridays...(...The JAZZ goes down in Studio A and Allen Kanovsky has pics and vids to prove it!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/20/15

...an elite------noooo----an eclectic group of JAZZophiles, gather at radio station WLRN(91.3FM) for Ed Bell's live JAZZ broadcast. Lunch is provided by Pollo Tropical and the JAZZ is provided by well known artists. 

I use the term eclectic because among the musician audience there are stars from all the genres of JAZZ. Wendy Pederson, Jim Gasior, Maria Rivas, Silvano Monasterios and
others. Representing the BLUES, the very talented musician/composer, Graham Wood Drout. Civilians were represented by Charlie Boyer, Rick Katz, Bill Rutan, about 80 others and myself. We would be listening to the Miami JAZZ Trio. Vince Maggio at the 88s, Randall Dollahon on guitar and on upright bass is Dr. Jamie Ousley. All three are not only famed as musicians but are masters in education at UM & FIU. There was no question that what we would listen to would be JAZZ at its best. No one was disappointed. 

While waiting for the broadcast to begin Vince noodled a bit of "Let It Snow" --- Miami, middle of June? Well, yes... the studio is pretty much kept at meat-locker temperature! Another display of Vince's sense of humor. His antics remind me of the late Chubby Jackson.

They opened with "It Isn't Even Spring" to a samba rhythm. It transforms into the ballad "Suddenly It's Spring" and the last few bars are "Spring Is Here". Next was Bill Evans "How My Heart Sings". Vince shows off with some amazing right hand. Randall & Jamie add extra sensitivity to the tune. They do "Billies Bounce" with Randall quoting "I Got Rhythm" and Jamie playing all the high notes that a bass has. I spy Nicky & Debby Orta. 

The rest of the program carries me back to my early childhood of the mid-30s. Victor Young's composition "Street of Dreams(1932). They follow with an up-tempo "Be My Love". Bringing the 30's to the 50's Vince includes lots of bop riffs. Randall catches the groove and transmits it to Jamie as well. Now, straight ahead 'swing' with "All Of You" and closing with the softest of ballads "I'll Follow My Secret Heart". 

I grabbed hold of Graham to talk to him about his interest in JAZZ. He and I agree that JAZZ is rooted in the BLUES and we both love music of all kinds. He quoted a long gone JAZZ musician who once said, "If you don't hear the BLUES, it ain't JAZZ". Think about it. 

Charlie, Kathy and I headed for Le Chat Noir for coffee and conversation. Yes, Le Chat is open mid-day. Alexis, Ezzio and Gio were there. Eddy Balzola came in to set up for his late nite appearance. The time was around 4PM. Eddy's gig started at 10. Now you have an idea of how hard it is to be a JAZZ musician. 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 


PHOTOS AND VID CLIPS FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT!
      

The location...

The info....

The Miami Jazz Trio...

Always good to get the names!

The studio scene... Ed Bell overseeing from the left...

Yes, indeed... The Beauty (Maria Rivas) with THOSE GUYS (L-R; Rick Katz, Bill Rutan, Allen Kanovsky)

A bit of what went down...


Randall Dollahon's sweet sweet guitar that is compelled to play "in front" or "on top" of the other musician's instruments! What a treat!

Every house should have at least one... AND someone like Vince Maggio to play it!


Real smiles... the joy of music and those that make it!
Silvano Monasterios, Nicky Orta, Vince Maggio & Debbie Orta

Yes, this a video... just click the arrow thingy in the middle...


Ed Bell, a natural attraction... for Roseanne, Kathy & Susan!

Education which becomes life, which becomes education....
Graham Wood Drout & Randall Dollahon

Allen Kanovsky, Wendy Pedersen, and Jim Gasior... seems these three are in the same room at the same time a lot these days!


Hey, when you make it downtown, you have to make the most of it!
Allen Kanovsky & Kathy Kniffen at the BEST jazz club in Miami!

The couch in the cellar WAS offered for some layover time if Allen wanted to stick around for the show!

 ~ ~ ~


~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment