Thursday, June 25, 2015

I had a wonderful Wednesday evening...(But Allen Kanovsky still wishes he had the $14K!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/25/15

...starting at BaCA in Pompano Beach. The growth of this Arts program is miraculous. From a single store front gallery to multiple rooms and an outdoor stage performance. The band last night was Otis Cadillac & the Eldorados with the Seville Sisters. In the audience was Bluesbobby and his wife Priscilla(celebrating their 31st anniversary). Alyona Ushe was their having fun with the rest of us. And fun it was. Band members include Otis himself, Niles (redbeans) Blaize (harp/trumpet), Doug Treen(tenor sax), Steve Lambozelli (Tenor sax) Josh Roland (guitar), Bob Goldman (bass), Rich Goldman (drums) and Susan Rivera on keys. The Seville sisters were Kat Riggins, Liz Sharp, Jaran Levy and a wonderful 4th member whose name I didn't get. 

The music played ran the gamut from BLUES , R&B, to its bastard child rock and roll. If you wanted to dance they had made plenty of room. You could just shake your booty or do the twist, the monkey or the swim.  Each band member had ample chance to show off and did. Otis loves what he does and it is apparent in his performance. How can I make my review short & sweet? Fun, fun, fun. They did more songs than I had time to make note of but again, fun, fun, fun. Part of that fun was a lady, Jacqueline Tarantino, who sat in playing finger cymbals (thumbelinas to me). 

A short drive south to Ft. Lauderdale I caught Danny Burger's Showcase featuring Jesse Jones Jr.(alto sax/vocals/scat). The other members were Paul Shewchuk (bass) and Brian Murphy (keyboard). It was good to see Babette out again and my fellow traveler (Havana JAZZ Festival) Tania had me share her pizza. 

It was JAZZ as it is meant to be played and heard. Sometimes serious, sometimes no so. Solos delivered with imagination and emotion. A tight group playing while speaking the same musical language. I would display the play list but let it suffice to say a lot of Coltrane and Adderley. Anyone who wants to do scat vocals should listen to Jesse. Over and over and over again. 

My dance partner, Denise, showed up for the last 2 songs. We tried out our new 'sit on my lap' step and it feels like it will work. 

I drove home with the Real Tracy Fields (WLRN 91.3FM). Good music and a half moon brightening the sky. 

Half moon----mezza luna in Italian. Many Italians think that a mezza luna is a good sign for gamblers. Particularly crap shooters. Christmas week of 1965, Flo, our 2 children and I were in Puerto Rico at the Caribe Hilton. With a $200 buy-in and making $5 bets I won over $14,000 when a young lady rolled 9 elevens back to back. The stick man had encouraged the initial $5 venture by saying in Spanish, "What kind of gentlemen are you if you don't bet the ounze on a Saturday night and a lovely lady shooter". He forgot to mention the half moon shining outside. Johnny DiMauro brought it to my attention. He was right alongside of me for the action. Neither of us left the island with the money!!!! There was no half moon on Sunday.


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment