Thursday, June 11, 2015

I learned long ago...(And Allen Kanovsky has learned A LOT since, too!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/11/15


…to never ask a woman her age. I had 2 older sisters and a mother. In all my growing up years there were never candles on any birthday cake. I knew my sisters were older than me and my mother was older than them. Tante Razel was older than anybody and everybody.

Last night Glenda Grainger revealed her age to me, voluntarily. She does have history and pictures of her some years ago are of a magnificent creature. Her voice is that of a much younger vocalist. She is not a JAZZ singer. Ms. Grainger is the quintessential "cabaret" vocalist. Occasionally she will do a couple in the JAZZ genre to satisfy me. Her accompanist is Gary Lawrence. Gary can play any song written in the last 200 years and in any key without any sheet music. He also knows the lyrics. I arrived at 6:45 and Glenda was on until 7:30. She did at least 20 standards. I made note of all the titles but did that up-in smoke trick again sooooooooo….

Tonight was Danny Burger's weekly Showcase. Along with Danny was Brev Sullivan on guitar, Dr. Jaimie Ousley on bass, Marc Berner (reeds) and the one and only Brian (2brain) Murphy at the 88s.

In the packed house were Jaimie's new bride Nanami Morikawa, guitarist Lindsay Blair, longtime JAZZophile Ron, Holly Spillane, Isabel with her brother Jim, her boyfriend and bassist Paul Shewchuck.

They opened with "7 Steps To Heaven". Brian set the stage, taking the first solo. Jaimie is an upper   register wonder. Brev, a product of "heavy metal" has become quite comfortable with his newly adopted genre and showed his creative side. Danny caught the groove and did a full chorus solo. Next was a song from Brev's childhood years titled "Icarus".  Marc played tenor flute to do "The Nearness Of You". Brev and Marc did some really nice work.   Danny, Brian and Jaimie soloed The trio selected a tune from forever ago---"Dearly Beloved". If you paid attention to Brian’s solo you would have heard the influences of pianists from Earl 'Fatha" Hines to Lenny Tristano. Jaimie & Danny were impressive as well. The band returned to play "Once In A While",  with a brilliant solo by Brian. I like that alliteration. From now on instead of '2 brain' he will be Brian Brilliant Murphy. They ended the set with a Danny Kaye song from forever ago, "Inchworm, Inchworm". It turned into one of those moments that you will remember for a long time. Marc playing soprano delivered a 5* solo and then did some amazing contra work opposite the tenor. Danny brought the number to a rousing finish.

The 2nd set opened with a super up-tempo "You Stepped Out Of A (drum) Dream" which featured Danny. "The Little Train of Typura" was done to a nice samba rhythm with Marc on flute. Brev took center stage for "You Don't Know What Loves Is". A very emotional rendition with Marc adding a tenor solo. They closed the set with "Caravan". The last set had them doing a boppish "Janine". It was followed by "Cocovado". The rhythm was moderate Bossa Nova until Brian got hold of it and turned it into a Carnivale tempo Samba. 'something else'. It was the rhythm sections spotlight again. Talk about history---"Poinciana". The band remembered it from Ahmad Jamal. I remember it as a big band swing hit in the late 30's. Outstanding solos by each of the trio with Danny "blowing 'em up".

The show closed traditional way with "Day By Day" followed closely by "Amazing Grace".

It's by His Grace that I am where I am and able to do what I do. 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment