Wednesday, June 24, 2015

I got "lucky" last night. (AGAIN, Allen Kanovsky?)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/24/15


Getting "lucky" has a different meaning to a guy 83 than it does do guys who are 23,33,43,53,63, 13 or even 73. How do guys my age get "lucky"?. They go out 4 maybe 5 nights a week, listening to JAZZ and BLUES, live. When you hear great musicians 2 nights in a row, man, you got "lucky". 

Monday night, as reported it was the "Orta/Araya Latin JAZZ Quartet" at the Miami JAZZ Co-op's Rent Party. Last night it happened at The Funky Biscuit.Tuesday belonged to the future of JAZZ. I am at least 60 years older than almost everyone who performed. The exceptions were Randy Bernsen (guitar & Featured Artist in the current issue of Jazz & Blues Florida) & Julius Pastorius(drums). The music started with a quintet. Randy on guitar. Patrick Bartley (alto), Max Boiko (trumpet) Brad Miller (bass) and Stefan Klein (drums). 

Patrick, Max and Stefan are all DCA graduates under the tutelage of Chris Dorsey. Their studies continue at prestigious New York music schools. The tune titles became unimportant because the music was beyond the realm of belief. Every solo imaginative. Every note true. Randy did a portion with his guitar voicing a soprano sax that held me in complete astonishment. All of the tunes were arranged by Max and were almost 'classical' in nature. Patrick is a dangerous disciple of the genre. He can play anywhere, anytime, with anybody and still stand out. Technique, tone, creativity. The young Mr. Bartley has it all. Stefan has grown in height and as a musician. He is a force with those sticks. The first time I heard Brad was a couple of weeks ago. If you want a bass player to consistently keep that rhythm going, he is the guy. A couple of titles that I was able to distinguish were "National Park" and "Rte 26". 

Going back to getting "lucky". Patrick gave me the gift of one of the greatest and I mean unequivicably greatest solos I have ever heard in all my 83 years. I have listened to millions of bars of music from all of the best. Nothing was better. Thank you, Patrick. They closed the set with a Randy Bernsen original that showed off his multi-talents. Antonio Madruga (keys/vocals) along with Brad and Stefan took the stage for the 2nd set. They would play Antonio's compositions which include title like "For the First Time", "She's A Stranger", "Everyone is One", "Song With No Lyrics"(has a lyric), "There's Nothing To Worry About" a funk based "The Way You Tease Me", "Forgive and You'll Be Free", "I Don't Need  To Know the Way" and "All One". Julius Pastorius sits down at the kit joining Max and Patrick's return to the stage. They 'bop' one and "the joint is jumpin'". Stefan returns and the band goes to second line "Dixieland" with "When the Saints Go Marching In". Pay attention----Patrick puts your feets on Frenchman's, St. Max has you munching Beignets, Antonio has you marchin' and wavin' a hanky, Brad has you peeping at girls 'you know whats', and Stefan keeps us all in line. 

Hey, I got lucky with table mates too. Antonio's Mom & Dad, Cora and Omar had joined my pal Jimmy Belize and I. Stefan's parents stopped by to say "Hi" as well. I am going for a "got lucky"  tri-fecta with Danny Burger tonight. Will my dreams come true? Will I get 'lucky' in the traditional sense? I better call my cardiologist!!!!!!

   


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment