Sunday, June 21, 2015

It's not the most romantic setting...(But Allen Kanovsky's story of the music makes one forget that minor detail!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 06/21/15

...in South Florida but the music was. 


Luz Marina Salizar was appearing with her love, Mike Orta, on piano and good friend Kai Sanchez on bass. Aldo Salvent was accompanied by his girl friend Adela and would sit-in later in the program. I was seated next to Mike's Mom, Kathy and we were joined by family pal, Carlito. 

Luz opened with "What A Difference A Day Makes" to an easy cha-cha tempo. Next was "Como Fue". If you are in the mood to fall in love this song will push you over the edge. En Espanol she does an old song titled "Historia Del Amor"--'Love Story'. Luz is classically trained and does not claim to be a JAZZ vocalist. Her voice is beautiful and her high notes are perfect. Emotionally, you know you are listening to a woman who knows what love is really all about. 

At this point my notes are scattered so the sequence of songs may out of order but the mood was definitely one of love in any language. Luz sang "Mona Lisa" to which Kai added a most wonderful solo. Luz selects "Oh My Man, I Love Him So"  and you know she is singing it to and for Mike. Aldo joins them for "Tres Palabres"(Without You") and makes an impression on the establishment's owner. The trio trades 8's and make an impression on me. Luz sings "You Are Always In My Heart". There is the warmth of romance in every note she sings and he plays. They do "Shadow Of Your Smile" and follow with "Smile". Aldo shines when they play "What A Difference A Day Makes". Luz's interpretation of "Besame Mucho" tells the real story of a woman yearning for love. Carlito helps me out by getting the title of a beautiful ballad, "Capullito De Aleli". 

The 'Romance' languages, French, Italian and Spanish have a certain flavor. They each can make you feel a certain way about many things. Love--amour, amore, amor. When I think about the French. Sensuous, mysterious. Italian. A lot of twisted sheets and holding hands while looking over the Med. Spanish. Body to body. Eyes looking in to each others. Heat!!!. In English it loses something. "I think I love you"------"So what!!!."  

My late partner, Flo, and I enjoyed seeing another couple in love and we all became good friends. Last night Luz gifted me with a framed picture of Flo and I. It's not the best photo Flo ever took but it showed how happy she was. Thank you Luz. And thanks to Mike, Kai and Aldo for making music live the life of love. 


Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment