Thursday, July 9, 2015

The roots of...(...Al's grey hair are fertilized in musical wisdom - Swingin' Harpoon's music included!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/09/15

...the BLUES are grown deep in to America's history. Some say it started with the chants of the slaves working the fields of the deep South. Then the churches with praise of the Lord. It came into the shacks where they lived and told the stories of their past and present plight. Later on it was the stories of new romance & broken hearts. Of everlasting love and betrayal. Last night in Boca Raton my pal Jimmy Belize and I were treated to an evening of BLUES of old. Real BLUES with lyrics that told the truth. 

The band was 'Swingin' Harpoon'. Out front is Mike Lanigan playing keys, harp and handling most of the vocals. On guitar is a new member Keven McCann. You can tell the BLUES are etched in his soul. Long time band member James Lewis is at the kit and sang one as well. Chris Scheiber handles the bass chores and did a nice vocal on "Flip, Flop and Fly". 

The show opened with an instrumental version of "Black Magic Woman" and that set the tone for the night. It would be BLUES magic for the rest of the evening. Some old, some fairly recent but all recognizably BLUE. One that goes way back and is lots of fun "Wait-----Just A Minute" has us all clappin' and tappin'. "Hey Babe" is colored in funk and "I Can't Do My Homework" tells a tale. "Bye, Bye Baby" gives each player a chance to show off and they do. Then a tune that dates back to even before I was born. "Broken Hearted", first played in 1926. It's done in slow tempo drag and I am wishing for a dance partner to do a little bit of "Fish". I didn't get all of the title but I know it went "Put Away Those ???" and James did some really nice solo work. Knowing how Floridians have the habit of not using their 'blankahs'(directionals) Mike chides them with the song "There's Gonna Be An Accident". Chris did his 'F,F & F' followed by Mike's shout-out to me for being a judge at the Inaugural Greater Southeastern Harmonica Championships at the Bradfordville Blues Club on Aug. 29. James grabs a 'mic' to sing "I Love You Too Much". Mike keeps it fun when they do "Going Down To Big Mary's" and closes the set with "Mr. Pinstripe".


The Mon/Tues nite $5 hamburger special is now $6 and Mon. only. They were sold-out on chili and they no longer have ice cream. No matter. Every night there's great music. Thanks to Swingin' Harpoon for the fun and music. 





Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment