Sunday, July 19, 2015

Long before JAZZ...(And Allen Kanovsky remembers this!)


Submitted by Al Kanovsky 07/18/15


…was born in America there was 'fado'. Some say it dates back to medieval times. Improvised melodic and lyric lines reflecting sadness, longing and love. Last night I was treated to an evening of music that encompassed those three emotions.

Susana Behar, accompanied by Jose Luis Rodriguez on guitar and Saul Vera playing bandolo, sang for a full house of fans at BaCa in Pompano Beach. Her voice is perfect for this type of music and her emotional performance was well received. Ms. Behar sang in the language known as 'Ladino' which is historic with an Iberian-Judeo base but includes the influences of almost every tongue in Europe and the Mid-East. I usually relay the song titles but truthfully. I didn't understand a word spoken or sung. It didn't matter. I was swept away by the romance in Susana's voice and the intensity of Jose and Saul's playing there were five star solos by both. To say I was enraptured would be too mild. Flo has been resting in the Lords arms for almost three years. Last night her head rested on my shoulder as I recalled a Spanish restaurant in Manhattan called La Buena Mesa. Flamenco guitarists would play there. Sometimes for pay, sometimes just to partake of the incredible paella and even better sangria. 

A couple of Susana's songs were from Venezuela which is a country that has also absorbed many cultures and is reflected in its now native rhythms. With my sparse knowledge of Spanish and no understanding of Ladino I was able to gather the meaning of most of the songs by Ms. Behar's performance. I knew when they were about love, or longing, or the joy or sadness of love itself. Those of you who read my stuff know that I fill my life with live performances of JAZZ and BLUES. Susana Behar has renewed my interest in the music of the Iberian Peninsula. A wonderful night of beautiful music. Mucho gracias, Susana, Saul y Jose.




Al's Disclaimer:
A short note: The reason I write this is because I love music and words. I do not book acts. I do not promote acts. I do not accept invitations to review artists. I go to venues of my own choice. When and where is not influenced by anything other than who I would like to hear that night or day. If I don't like what I hear, I won't write about it. When I like it I let you all know. I never mention a name without asking permission. "Pardon me, Miss. Would you like to dance?" 
      




 ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~
Posted by Jazz & Blues Florida
Please visit http://www.jazzbluesflorida.com to see the scene.
Or, just use this FORM to sign up to have
Florida's jazz & blues news delivered to your inbox.
And, if you like what you see here, please HIT THAT FACEBOOK SHARE BUTTON below!
Thanks!

Did you know that as Florida’s ONLY promotion platform for live jazz & blues:
We have the only monthly publication dedicated to previews of upcoming jazz and blues shows in Florida at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com ?
We have the most comprehensive festival page for Florida jazz & blues at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Festivals?
We have the most comprehensive and active news blog for Florida jazz & blues news www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/Blog?
We have the most complete and current listing of Florida jazz and blues links at www.JazzBluesFlorida.com/links?
We have the largest email notification system for upcoming jazz and blues events in Florida?


No comments :

Post a Comment